navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #4
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gilmore's Adventures - Part #4 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2002-09-07 12:14 PM

PART #4

I told Gilmore I needed to be getting home but I would see him around. I had already determined I was going to help him somehow. I rode my bike back home, and put it in the garage beside my Dad’s old pickup truck. I went into the house, and yelled at Mom asking when supper would be ready. She told me it would be ready about as quick as it took me to empty the garbage, and take out the papers to the burning barrel. Since I was twelve years old, Mom thought I should be handling more responsbility around the place. I wasn’t too excited about the idea of going back out in the heat, but I had learned a long time ago, it was just better to do what Mom asked then to get her riled over me not doing what she asked.

I heard Dad’s car pulling into the driveway, and I knew I wanted to talk to him about Gilmore. I had been wondering ever since Gilmore talked to me about his dad dying, and not having a home if my dad knew that. He was always a good judge of character; but I thought he had failed miserably in figuring out this situation.

I had emptied the garbage, and was standing in the garage waiting on Dad to get out of his car. He stepped out of the car, saw me standing there; and said, “Hi Billie Rae, what are you doing out here in the heat?” I told him Mom wanted me to empty the garbage, and take the papers out for her. I said, “Dad, I ran into Gilmore again today.” He sort of mumbled, “Hmm, you did?” I said, “Yeah, Dad, I saw him down at the creek where we guys go swimming.” Dad sort of chuckled and said, “Bet he was trying to get something from you, wasn’t he?” I looked at Dad and then I asked, “Dad how well do you know Gilmore?” Dad laughed and said, “Well, I know him well enough to be on the look-out for him.”

Dad was walking into the house, and I was following him close behind. This whole thing was bothering me, and I couldn’t let it drop. Again, I said, “Dad how well do you really know Gilmore?” He looked at me and said, “Billie Rae, what is going on that you are asking all these questions about Gilmore?” I asked Dad if he had ever known any of Gilmore’s family. He said, “No, I can’t say that I have ever met any of his family.” I decided it was time my parents heard about the real Gilmore Barstow.

Mom told me to go wash up as she was putting supper on the table. When I got back she and Dad were already at the table. I sat down, and Mom handed me a bowl of mashed potatoes. I took out a big helping; and then said, “I want to talk to you about Gilmore Barstow.” Dad said, “What is going on between you and Gilmore? I didn’t realize you even knew him that well.” I told my parents all about Gilmore; how he had lost both parents, and lived in a deserted boxcar down by the tracks on the east side of town. I thought my dad was going to drop his teeth. “What did you say Billie Rae? Are you sure about that?” He acted like he didn’t believe me; and that made me wonder why he didn’t know about Gilmore since we did live in a small town.

I announced to my parents that I was going to find a way to help Gilmore for he didn’t have any money. I got on my soapbox about then, and said, “Where are all the good people who are supposed to be showing love and human kindness? I wouldn’t exactly say treating him as an outcast is showing any love or human kindness.”

My mom gave me that look that said, “You’ve said about enough Billie Rae.” I had seen that look before, so I got real busy eating my mashed potatoes and roast beef. I did manage to tell her the food was real tasty. I saw Mom look at Dad with a puzzled look on her face. She sort of shrugged her shoulders as if to say, “I don’t know where the boy comes up with this stuff.”

No more was said about Gilmore that night, but when I went to bed I knew in my heart, I was going to do something to help him. I was twelve years old; I would come up with something.

To be continued...

© Copyright 2002 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #4

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary