navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Extra Curricular Activities
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Extra Curricular Activities Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2002-09-05 01:05 AM

Extra Curricular Activities
By Larry Chadwick

Spare time. It is such an elusive commodity. As children we believed that our parents were denying us the spare time we were entitled to. They sent us to bed early! So it isn’t difficult to understand that when leaving home we will gain more time because we will be able to set our own bed times.

Then when we get out on our own we discovered the truth. Sleep is important. We haven’t gained additional time at all because, on our own, we went to bed at the same time we did at home. And to complicate things more, college consumed all of our spare time. We could hardly wait until we finished school because we had all kinds of plans for all the spare time that we would gain. But after graduation we were consumed by our career and found there was no spare time.

Just when we had the upper hand on our career we started our family. How was it possible that marriage and family could take all that spare time? There was no choice but to make a commitment for the spare time that we would gain when our children finally left home. Eventually.

How elusive is that spare time we yearned for back in college. Not even in middle age could it be found. With such expertise acquired from experience, volunteerism drained our spare time. Then it dawned on us that when we retire…then we will finally have some spare time for ourselves.

It was just the other day that I was visiting with my dad’s friends. They’re retired. I was overwhelmed to listen to the consistent message they conveyed. Their lives are so busy that they have no spare time. In fact, they feel busier now than when they earned their living in full time employment. Unbelievable.

I am not easily dissuaded. It has taken quite some time for me to solve this dilemma. But it occurred to me just this week why God promised us eternity. If there isn’t spare time there than it doesn’t exist!

September 4, 2002

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2002 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

1 posted 2002-09-05 10:55 PM

Larry, I enjoyed this, and had to chuckle. We are approaching retirement, and have talked to friends who are already there.  They say the same thing, "We are busier then we have ever been."  You know, I have a feeling we will be busy in heaven too. :-) Wanda
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2002-09-06 01:05 AM

Wanda,
LOL Exactly why eternity has to last forever! Scary eh? Thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Extra Curricular Activities

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary