navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #3
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gilmore's Adventures - Part #3 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2002-09-05 12:59 PM

PART #3

I looked at Gilmore for a while longer and then said, “Well, is it all right to ask you a question?” He said, “Sure Billie Rae, ask away.”

I guess when Gilmore told me that he had no money, it brought several questions to my mind. I wondered where he lived, and whether he had a family. So I asked him, “Where do you live Gilmore?” He got a strange look on his face, and he asked, “Why do you want to know Billie Rae?” I stammered around a bit and said, “Well, I just never knew where you lived, and I was wondering; that’s all.” I could tell the question bothered him, and I was feeling like I wished I had never asked him.

He got real still; and then he said, “Billie Rae, I don’t have a home.” I know my eyes must have gotten big as coffee cup saucers when he said that. That opened up a whole lot more questions in my mind, and I said, “Don’t you have a family, Gilmore?” He shook his head and said, “Billie Rae, my mom died when I was born; and when I was fourteen, my dad was killed in a logging accident.” My dad was mostly a drunk from the time Mom died until he was killed. He had lost the home where we lived; and for the last year of his life, we lived in a deserted boxcar down by the tracks on the east side of town.

By this time I was about ready to start bawling. I couldn’t believe someone had to live in a deserted boxcar. I said, “Don’t you have any family left?” He just stood there shaking his head. I began to see why he was always mooching from people. Gilmore didn’t have any money with which to buy food. I began to feel pretty mean about my whole attitude toward Gilmore. I realized all of a sudden, because of my own ignorance, I had formed a wrong opinion about him. I really wanted to ask him some other questions, but I didn’t want to offend him.

I stood there wondering how many people knew of Gilmore’s lot. This was an area where there were many Church going people. Where was that love that was always being preached on Sunday mornings? The way I looked at it, someone needed to be showing some love to Gilmore Barstow.

That day I began to realize there are people in this world who have it a whole lot worse then I could possibly imagine. From that day forward, I saw Gilmore Barstow in a whole new light.

To be continued...

© Copyright 2002 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2002-09-05 10:11 PM

Wanda,
Funny how we often think that "someone" providing help should be "someon else". Interesting write.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #3

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary