navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #1
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gilmore's Adventures - Part #1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2002-08-15 11:57 PM

Gilmore’s Adventures

Now I wouldn’t call Gilmore Leonne Barstow one of the smartest people that ever walked down Bluff Road, but you couldn’t say he was stupid either. I would say Gilmore was one of those people who liked for you to think he wasn’t too bright around the edges; but Gilmore knew what was going on, and he was pretty clever in manipulating a situation.

My dad used to say, “You’d better stand back when Gilmore comes into the room. He’ll figure some way to work you to get what he wants.” My dad had a way of calling things the way he saw them. He could observe a person, and tell you pretty much what that person was thinking. I used to think when I was a child my dad was some sort of psychic, but I later learned he was just good at reading people.

One day I had walked into Freda’s coffee shop, and sat down upon one of the stools at the counter. Freda came over, and asked me what I wanted. I told her I wanted a Coke and a burger with catsup. She looked at me out of the corner of her eye and said, “Billie Rae, do you have enough money for that?” I was so embarrassed I thought I would die on the spot. I know my freckles must have popped out all over my body at that point, and I stuttered and stammered. When I finally got enough courage to look at her, she started laughing and patted my arm. She said, “I was just teasing you, Hon.”

Freda had gotten me so worked up, I didn’t even realize that Gilmore had walked in and sat down on the stool beside me. I finally came to the realization he was sitting there staring at me with that crazy @#%$-eyed grin on his face. “Hey Gilmore,” I said. “What are you doing today?” I already knew by the look on his face he was thinking on how to work me for something. Gilmore said, “Hey to you Billie Rae.
How about you and me flipping a coin to see who buys lunch today.” I just shook my head, and said, “No Gilmore, the way I see it, that is gambling. If I did that my dad would skin me alive.” Gilmore laughed that crazy laugh of his and said, “Ahh, you must be afraid of your daddy Billie Rae.”

I knew I was skating on thin ice. I had watched him from a distance working other people to get what he wanted. He thought he had me pigeon-holed. Just then Freda came over to the counter with a Coke and burger for me. I grabbed them and said, “Freda, how much do I owe you, I’m in a pretty big hurry.” She looked at me and then Gilmore; and said, “I’ll wrap everything for you to go.” It only took her a minute, and she said, “You hurry on home now, you hear?” I thanked her, and ran out of that place before Gilmore could get me cornered again.

When Dad got home that night, I told him what had happened with Gilmore. He said he thought I had handled it pretty well. He had heard Gilmore had used that trick with several people, and it always ended up with other people having to pay for his meals. Dad said, “That’s why Freda helped you get out of there in a hurry. They are getting really frustrated with Gilmore for he’s pulling that stunt often down at the coffee shop.

I decided that day I was going to be a little more vigilant when it came to Gilmore. The guy pretty much gave me the creeps, and I didn’t want to have anything to do with him.

To be continued....

© Copyright 2002 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
1 posted 2002-08-22 08:00 PM

Splendid write, I look forward to reading more.
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

2 posted 2002-08-31 01:45 PM

Gemini, Thank you so much for your comments.  Sorry to be late in getting a response to your comment.  Wanda
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gilmore's Adventures - Part #1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary