navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kingdom Beyond the Eye (Ch4)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Kingdom Beyond the Eye (Ch4) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
J. K. Mitchell
since 2002-01-12
Posts 311
GA

0 posted 2002-06-30 01:59 PM

CHAPTER FOUR:

Skesis took her to his home.  Never in her dreams had she imagined his home would look like what stood before her.  The stone castle stood on the hill.  It was every bit as majestic as its King.  It had to be at least 250 feet tall.  It seemed like was impenetrable.  The drawbridge was let down as they neared the moat that surrounded it.  

“Be careful, little one.  The moat is filled with sea creatures that could rip you to shreds before you could blink.”  She shivered and looked down into the silver water.  She saw nothing but that didn’t stop the shiver of dread that went down her spine.

“We are entering the castle now.  I want you to walk behind me.  Keep your head low and don’t make eye contact with anyone.”  He didn’t give her the opportunity to question him.  He pushed her behind him.  She complied because she was a fish out of water.  Summer knew his instructions were for her protection so she didn’t dare disobey.

Summer had to fight the impulse to look around.  She was walking through a real castle.  She couldn’t quite believe it.  It was the type of thing she had read about.  It didn’t really happen in real life.  Although it was happening to her and she was overwhelmed.

Skesis moved quickly not responding when people called out to him.  She wondered if she was the reason behind this.  She shoved the thought in the back of her mind.  Summer would question him about it later.  

It wasn’t long before they reached her chambers since they practically ran through the grounds.  He pushed open the door and they stepped in.  Summer looked around in awe.  Never in her wildest dreams had she imagined such opulence.  Her room was lavish, luxuriant and straight out of a fairy tale.  

The high rice bed stood before her.  The silk black sheets beckoned to her. She wondered if it was as soft as it looked like it was.   The armoire was filled with clothing.  The room and the clothing were so perfect for her that it was like she had left and was expected to return any day. Summer suppressed a yawn. She was suddenly very tired. Summer walked over to the window and looked out.

“This is your room.  Do what you please with it.  If you want to change anything all you have to do is tell one of the servants and they will provide whatever it is that you desire.”  Summer looked around at the room and couldn’t imagine one thing she would change.

He turned to leave. “I will let you rest now.  I know you are tired.”  Summer yawned.  "Yeah I am."  He reached out and touched her face then turned and left her.  She watched him close the door behind him then headed to the bed.

Two sharp knocks awakened her.  Summer sat up just as the door opened.  The visitor walked in quickly and over to the bed where Summer lay.  She focused her cold ebony eyes on Summer.  Summer shivered in response.   Summer had seen eyes like that before.  Eyes that held nothing but emptiness in them.  She once wished to never see such a thing again.  Of course she wasn’t naïve enough to believe that all wished came true.

Her visitor was coldly beautiful.  She was almost as tall as Skesis.  Her skin, though, was a soft gold and her hair matched her eyes.  Summer stood up.  It somehow seemed appropriate that she do so.  
“I am Star.  I have come to train you.”  Summer was exhausted.  She knew she wasn’t up to any kind of work out.

“Skesis said nothing of training this soon.”  Summer thought she saw a flash of anger in Star’s eyes but it was quickly replaced by a look of contempt.  “You dare challenge me you insolent imp?  Do you know who I am?”  Summer thought that if her brow rose any higher it would jump off her face.  She was tired though, and had no control over her mouth.
“No, but I have no doubt that you’re going to tell me.”  Star’s gaze narrowed.  “I am Star.  The right hand to the King.”    Summer could just see the pride filling Star’s eyes.  Star looked at Summer with such disdain that she wanted to applaud her performance.  

She didn’t know why she did what she did next.  She just couldn’t resist the opportunity.
“I am Summer Meritt.  I am soon to be your Queen.  I think I out rank you.”  Summer smiled mockingly at her.  Star raised her hand and smacked her.  Summer’s body flew across the room by the force of the blow.  She slammed into the wall and darkness claimed her.  

“Better?”  Summer nodded and sat up.  Her gaze swept the room for Star’s presence.  
“She’s gone.”  Skesis said. “I’m sorry for what happened.”
“Did you send her to train me?”
“Did I send her today? No.  Is she going to train you?  Yes.”  Summer immediately shook her head no and soon regretted it.  The pain intensified once more.  
“I don’t want to be anywhere near her.”  
“Are you afraid of her?”

Summer thought about how much of her life she had spent living in fear.  She had been terrorized and stalked.  She had survived it all.  Star had hit her one time.  It was then that she got a flash of memory from her past.  She had once been beaten so severely that another person wouldn’t have been able to stand.  Summer did stand though and kept going.  Was she afraid of Star?  No.  Did she like her?  No again.  Would Summer kill her if given the opportunity?  Likely.   “No.”  She replied finally.  

“I have chosen Star to train you for a reason.”  If it wasn’t a good one Summer would seriously consider leaving.  She’d take her chances with her killer.  
“Star is arrogant, condescending and an out and out pain.”  Summer nodded her head agreeing.  
“But I wouldn’t want anyone else at my back.”  He waited a moment while she absorbed his words.
“Star is one the best soldiers I have.  I want you to be able to defend yourself.  Star is the best person to train you.”  His reasoning was sound.  Summer sighed.  She should have expected it to be.  
“I don’t want her anywhere near me Skesis.”  He started to speak but Summer held up her hand stopping his words.  “I understand that she is the best.  That is the only reason why I’m agreeing to this but if she touches me again outside of training then I will do whatever I can to see her dead.”  Skesis chuckled at the thought of her trying to kill Star.  Then he looked into her eyes then and saw that she meant every word.   She looked every inch the Queen.  If he doubted his decision before he didn’t then.  She was the one.  
“All right.”  He said agreeing.  “Are you hungry?”  
“Famished.”  
“I’ll have someone bring you something up.”  Summer asked tentatively.  “Won’t you join me?”  He looked into her anxious eyes and wished he could stay longer.
“I can’t little one.  I have pressing business to take care of but I’ll be back before you train this evening.”

© Copyright 2002 Jacqueline Mitchell - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kingdom Beyond the Eye (Ch4)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary