navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Children's Book- Andrew's Dreams
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Children's Book- Andrew's Dreams Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2002-06-15 10:10 PM

It has been ages since I have posted anything here and my life has been consumed by my children. My writing has taken a bit of a turn ( as you can tell...lol). This is something I have been thinking about doing for sometime.....a children's series of books. I am hoping you can tell me what you think.

Marilyn.
                                                ANDREW’S DREAMS

Andrew is a small boy, who lives in a small house, on a small street, in a small town, in southern Ontario. Andrew lives in his small house with his Mom, big brother and little sister. They are a close family and enjoy spending time together.

On a beautiful sunny afternoon Andrew and his family were in the back yard. Thoughts of things to be done were set aside as they lay in the grass. The four of them gazed up at the sky and watched the clouds lazily roll by.
"What do you see in that cloud?" Mom asked as she pointed towards the sky.
"A butterfly!" replied Andrew’s big brother.
"Do you see it Andrew? he asked. Andrew nodded.
"It isn’t any butterfly," replied Andrew. "It’s a Monarch butterfly. Can you see it’s beautiful wings?"

Andrew watched the butterfly float across the sky. He imagined himself running to the shed to get a ladder. He leaned it against a tree and began to climb. He climbed...........and he climbed.............and he climbed, until he was so high the clouds brushed against his cheek. The butterfly was fluttering and swooping around him.
"Would you please take me for a ride?" Andrew called to the butterfly politely.

The butterfly fluttered up to the ladder and smiled at Andrew.
"It would be a pleasure to give a ride to such a polite young man. What is your name?" The butterfly asked. Andrew told the butterfly his name and climbed onto his back. In an instant they were soaring though the misty clouds. Each one had a shape of it’s own until the breeze moved them around into another shape. Andrew watched in awe as a galloping horse softly turned and twisted into a fire breathing dragon.
"Does this happen to everyone who lives in the clouds?" asked Andrew as he looked down at the butterfly. He gasped slightly when he realized that he was no longer on a butterfly but on a hippopotamus instead. The hippo chuckled at Andrew and nodded.
"We all whirl and spin into different shapes here but you need not worry. I will enjoy showing you around the sky until I can carry you no longer. Those of us that live as clouds eventually become to heavy and fall to the earth." Andrew looked very sad at what the hippo had told him.
"Don’t be sad Andrew." said the hippo. "We are nothing more then water in the sky. We fall to the earth but are evaporated again and come back to live as clouds. We fall to the earth as rain and we give a drink to the soil, animals etc. then we come back to the sky again." Andrew seemed very pleased to know that the hippo, who had now become a train engine, did not have to leave the sky for long.

Andrew watched as the shapes around him grew darker and colder. He began to shiver and realized that his shirt had become wet.
"It is time I brought you back to the ladder." said the train who was now a dark rain cloud below him. "It is soon my time to give a drink to the earth." Andrew climbed off the little storm cloud and onto the ladder. "Thank you for showing me around your home." said Andrew as he began to climb back down.
"Come and visit me any time Andrew. I enjoyed your company and I always have time for polite young boys." Andrew climbed and climbed, it seemed that he was climbing down forever. He was tired, cold and wet when he finally reached the ground. He put the ladder back where he had found it and laid on the grass beside his mother. He was asleep in an instant.

"Andrew, Andrew sweetie, wake up." His mother was shaking him lightly trying to wake him. "It is starting to rain and we need to go in the house." Andrew smiled at his mother and walked drowsily into the house. His mother took him to his room and helped him into warm, dry pyjamas and into bed. "Sleep well little one." Mom said as she kissed him on the forehead. Andrew smiled out the window and in a tired murmur said "until we meet again Mr. Butterfly."

© Copyright 2002 Marilyn - All Rights Reserved
alterego
since 2002-02-23
Posts 113
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2002-06-22 11:46 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I clicked in here several days ago, read and loved your little story.  Actually I was totally blown away so much by it, I composed a poem and posted it in #21 on June 19th.  The poem is entitled "Raindrops".

You have a special talent and should seriously consider acting on it.  You, as a mother, seemed really to get into the child's mind, and bring out the freshness and wonderment there:  something we are all in need of, but especially in children today, it is essential that they can have some "nice" dreams, maybe evoked by "nice" bedtime stories, in direct opposition to the nasty stuff we're bombarded with in other media.

Well Done!!!

Create something infinite today - Smile!!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Children's Book- Andrew's Dreams

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary