navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Stepping Outside Of Ignorant Bliss, 1
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Stepping Outside Of Ignorant Bliss, 1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
my3monkeytoes
since 2002-05-11
Posts 152
In the Carolina Breeze

0 posted 2002-05-20 10:51 PM

Stepping Outside of Ignorant Bliss
Part 1 of the Journey

By Sydney McLean

What would she say?  How would she know who to talk to?  What would she discover?  Cynthia’s head buzzed with questions and possible scenarios.  Practically oblivious to the passenger who was riding beside her, she was organizing her thoughts, anticipating the meeting’s outline.

In contradiction to the impending situation, the morning sparkled with newness and life.  Springtime was always her favorite season, despite the ever present pollens that were welcomed each year.  Although her favorite transcendentalists made the competition between spring and fall a tough one, “spring” always won as the choice time of year.  After all, birth and renewal did seem more positive an influence than death and hibernation.  Despite the season’s graciousness, however, Cynthia did not partake in the present gifts of spring.

Would someone recognize her?  How would they behave?  What information would she receive?  Questions and more questions came from all directions.  The noise this created in her mind was almost unbearable, but she had to know.  She had to ask.

The drive there would only take fifteen minutes, but in the anxious silence of her companion, it seemed an eternity.  With hopes of temporarily ceasing the forthcoming  of questions, Cynthia turned on the radio.  WJTW was always “chocked full of upbeat tunes”.  As a matter of fact, that was their slogan, “WJTW, chocked full of upbeat tunes for today’s modern listener”.  Whitney’s latest release was airing:

"It’s not right, but it’s okay.
I’m going to make it anyway.
Close the door behind you, leave the key.
I’d rather be alone than unhappy."

“Chocked full?”, Cynthia sarcastically wondered.  What was upbeat about that song?  Was this a sign?  She was beginning to feel there were signs all around that she failed to recognize before.  Did she really fail to notice them, or simply choose not to notice?  Again, the questions came.

Rounding the final corner, a block away, she slowly approached her destination.  Finally, there were words.  His words cut through the quiet as sharply and painfully as a pair of dull scissors.  He asked, simply, “Do you have any gum?”.

That was it?  Instantly, she answered just as coldly, “No!”.  Cynthia was furious at how trivial his only words seemed.  Even if she did have gum, she certainly wouldn’t expend the energy to offer it to him.  Not now.

Edging her Expedition into a front row parking space, she scanned the parking lot outside of the restaurant for the car.  The car.  There it was, resting in all it’s glory.  She never again would like burgundy as an automobile color, nor would she like mustang convertibles.  Taking a deep breath, without looking his way, she stepped from the protection of her own vehicle.  She was on a mission.  She methodically removed the fourteen-month-old from the rear of the SUV and placed the baby on her hip.  Without making eye contact with him, she authoritatively walked through the entrance doors.  He walked behind her, but she was unaware of his cowering gait.

“Hi!  Welcome to Chez Michales.  Will there just be the three of you?”, quipped a young girl who couldn’t have been much older than the legal age required for employment.  “We will not be dining, thanks”, replied Cynthia.  “I’m here to see Melinda Roberts”.  Cynthia kept her autumn tented sun glasses on, and as she spoke to the hostess, she glanced across the restaurant in search of a woman who fit the description she’d been given.  Red hair, long legs and gorgeous.  The words painfully ran through her head.  “Oh, is she expecting you?”  Cynthia had a gut feeling that she was, but she answered, “No, I haven’t made an appointment.  I won’t take much of her time.  I’m Cynthia Milligan.”   The hostess smiled and disappeared behind an antique screen to announce Cynthia’s arrival.

The restaurant was quite busy and the hum of several conversations seemed soothing to Cynthia.  Anna was becoming restless while they waited.  Just fourteen-months-old, she was small in size, but quite the hand-full.  She reached for a pack of crackers from the hostess perch.  Cynthia opened the saltines and hoped that they would entertain Anna for the time being.

The hostess returned, stating “Ms. Roberts is in her office, you can go back.”  She was unaware of the reason for Cynthia’s visit, and it was obvious in her cheerful, bubbly smile.  Her seemingly carefree, happy attitude made Cynthia’s stomach churn.  She wanted to recapture that youthful bliss again, instead of dealing with the current situation.

Cynthia followed the same path taken by the young girl toward the restaurant’s offices.  The first office she came to was open.  Without hesitation, Cynthia stopped in the doorway, and saw her.  This is her.  Everything in Cynthia told her that this was the woman.  A young woman with shoulder length red hair looked up from her desk, as if on cue.  “I’m looking for Melinda Roberts”, stated Cynthia.  The woman behind the desk just nodded, and Cynthia walked in.  At this point, she became aware of her husband quietly walking behind her.

There were two chairs in front of the office desk where Melinda Roberts remained seated.  When placed down, Anna climbed into one and continued munching on her crackers.  Cynthia’s husband sat in the other one.  Cynthia reached across the desk and extended her right hand to the manager, saying very matter-of-factly, “Hi, Ms. Roberts, I’m Cynthia Milligan, and this is my husband, Rob.”  

"Where there's a will, there's a way, and with these thoughts, to Passions I stray."  ~SM

[This message has been edited by my3monkeytoes (05-20-2002 11:02 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Sydney McLean - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-05-21 07:01 AM

Okay, I'm ready for chapter two now.  Please?

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
2 posted 2002-05-21 09:40 AM

Chapter two, Hurry!!!
Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

my3monkeytoes
since 2002-05-11
Posts 152
In the Carolina Breeze
3 posted 2002-05-21 12:12 PM

halfway finished with chapter 2...you like?  you really really like?  You can be my encouragement to finish this piece.  I've been working on it for 3 years!  

Thanks bunches!

~Sydney McLean

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Stepping Outside Of Ignorant Bliss, 1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary