navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Loyalty's Curse -- Part 2
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Loyalty's Curse -- Part 2 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lucie
since 1999-06-20
Posts 1077
Houston

0 posted 2002-02-20 12:05 PM

PART 2
                      ~~~~~~~~

Sebrina had known that this moment would come, how could it not? Her Grandfather had a stubborn streak a mile wide and apparently found it pleasureable to bait the neighbors into argument.

Just last week she had found him in the back yard clipping the buds off of Miss Garner's prize rose bushes. Claiming that since on this side they hung over his property line that they belonged to him. Miss Garner had been furious and had vowed to Sebrina then that she would call someone and report this injustice. Grandpa had just laughed and carried the basket of decapitated roses into the garage.

Mrs. Stevenson cleared her throat and spoke, jarring Sebrina back to the present.

"Now, Miss Johnson, as you know we have received several complaints from your neighbors about your Grandfather." "You and I have spoken on several occasions and you assured me that you could handle these matters yourself, and several of your neighbors have dropped their complaints. But last week we received a complaint from a Miss Garner claiming that the damage your Grandfather did to her property cost her several hundred dollars."

I spoke with Miss Garner and she told me that if you reimbursed her she would drop the charges and be done with it.

Sebrina swallowed, several hundred dollars? How was she going to manage that? She barely made enough being a court clerk to support her Grandfather and herself. Sebrina sighed, she would just have to find a way, she couldn't allow them to take him, it was out of the question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sebrina stood chopping vegetables at the counter, playing the afternoon over again in her head. She had assured the social worker that she would speak to Miss Garner and resolve the issue and make arrangements for repaying her for the damage to the roses. She smiled to herself wondering if she should have told them what her Grandfather had done with the roses. Glancing over at the bowl of potpourri sitting in the window, she didn't think that Mrs. Stevenson would have found it funny, but she was sure the man would have laughed.

Her thoughts turned to the man. What had she said his name was? Mr. Williams? He hadn't said anything during the meeting, but she had seen him exchange several glances with Mrs. Stevenson before turning his eyes to the family photos that covered the wall in her livingroom. He seemed to be studying them, searching for something. Sebrina shrugged the thought off as she heard her Grandfather come in from the garden.

"Did you get the tomatoes Grandpa?" Sebrina continued to chop the onion in her hand as she spoke. She turned to look at her Grandfather when he didn't respond wondering if he had heard her.

He stood as if frozen, staring at the knife she held in her hand. His eyes held a faraway look as if he were seeing something Sebrina couldn't. "Grandpa, are you ok?"

Sebrina only had a moment to react as her Grandfather lunged at her dropping the bowl of tomatoes forgotten to the floor. The last thing she heard before she felt his fist hit her temple was him yelling for her not to hurt the baby....

To be continued....

© Copyright 2002 Lucille Dobbins - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-02-21 11:43 PM

Im going to find Part one....
I'll be back

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2002-02-22 01:01 AM

Ok...finally quiet reading time
I read both parts..I like you attention to detail and scenery...
the second part took quite a few twists, from past to present...but it didnt keep me from following the story.
You've cleverly woven several subplots in this...Im interested to see how each plays out and interested to see how you give up more insight into the grandpa..hes not a defined as the Sebrina character at this point.
You kept my interest and peaked my curiosity and thats the two of the main goals right?
Great writing Lucie...hope you keep this going...maybe if time allows...make the next installment a bit longer.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Loyalty's Curse -- Part 2

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary