navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Dragon Slayer (part 6)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dragon Slayer (part 6) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA

0 posted 2002-02-18 10:31 AM

Riding for hours across rugged terrain.  The shadow of a demonic dragon still
imprinted in his mind, Karbar continues his grim trek in a southerly direction, away
from humanity and civilization.  

Known for nothing good, this evil land to the south avoided by all but only the bravest or most
stupid of souls.  Dragons abound there.  A terrain of many mountains, caves, few if any trees
or signs of life.  Bones and rotting bodies strewn across a hellish land.  Hell seems like Heaven
compared to this forsaken place.

Stiff from the unfamiliar gate of a borrowed steed, Karbar groans a weary moan of complaint.
Shifting slightly in a worn saddle, attempting to quell the aches that he experiences. Contemplating rest as darkness slowly covering a land of mysticism and nightmarish dreams, visions.   A foul smell permeates the air and all that the land holds.  Karbar must wear a kerchief over his face to mask out the foul smell, cover the scent.

Sleeping in fitful winks, afraid to slumber for fear of death snatching him from a resting place.
Short naps are all that he dare take.  Dreaming of a maid left behind, the softness of her breast
against his chest as they lay quietly in bed the night before he arose, bid farewell and left on
a dragon slaying quest.  Remembering her concern for his safety, his sadness for having bid
her farewell.  Her pleads for him to take her with him.   His stubborn but righteous and firm
rejections of her wishes.  

A hellish scream penetrates the night air.  Startling Karbar from visions of maid Karenia.
Alert, fully ready for battle, steel drawn and poised to strike.  Feeling the forces of the air
flowing over him as a dragon narrowly misses snaring him in a gaping toothy maw.  Karbar
shrinks back further into the safety of a crevice.  Waiting for the return of the beast.  Breathing
hard, fast, heart pounding from the fright of the hellish sound that broke the stillness of a foul
moonless night.  

Crunching of bones beneath huge feet, the sound sends chills through Karbar as he awaits
a second attack from the beast.  Smell of putrid rotten flesh strong.  The dragon cannot be
more than two sword lengths from his face though the darkness hides it.  Karbar knows
there is nothing he can do but await the first lunge.  

A cry of extreme pain erupts from the dark night air........Thrashing sounds, crashing rocks
falling from every side.   Dark dust envelopes Karbar and the dragon.  Having lunged to attack,  not knowing Karbar had positioned his sword as a spear, the dragon skewered itself on the
razor sharp steel of a four foot blade.  Finally still, lifeless, the beast expires......Silence
returns again to this tormented land.  Another dragon has fallen to a slayer’s blade.  How
many more must Karbar slay before he finds the one he seeks?

Once more Karbar rests.....a vision from Magnus imprints his sleeping mind.  Forewarning
of peril ahead at the crossroads.  Warning Karbar to trust no man, for no man lives in this
place.  The dead walk amongst the demons....A frown of worry comes across a sleeping face.
Much work must yet be done by this chosen one.  A large hearted soul destined to slay.

[This message has been edited by Magnus (02-19-2002 03:34 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Barry J. Tackett - All Rights Reserved
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
1 posted 2002-02-19 02:59 AM

I want to know how this ends!!!  Purty please!!

You have some double posting here.

Great work...!!!

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

2 posted 2002-02-19 11:29 AM

Barry; I was getting confused over the double posting, but the story is as exciting as always.  I believe (correct me if I am wrong) I have read this part in an earlier posting.  This is writing at your best as far as I am concerned.  I love your stories on Karbar.  Wanda
rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
3 posted 2002-02-19 11:33 PM

Barry,

I love this Hurry hurry write more! I'm waiting for the next part

Hugs,
Tara

"My heart is like an open book, for the whole world to read"
     - Motley Crue, Home Sweet Home

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Dragon Slayer (part 6)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary