navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » School for Faeries
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic School for Faeries Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper

0 posted 2001-06-13 10:16 PM

School for Faeries

Sabela danced along the edge of the moss-covered leaf. She was the mistress of the school and often took time from her day to visit the 'wee ones' class. They were the youngest of the young, the daintiest of the dainty and the newest of the new. They were just birthed faerie babes.

The soft pink, blue, green and lavender hues of Sabela's wings reflected shimmering light around the faces of the faerie babes. They sat entranced as they watched her every movement.

"To fly gently, one must never 'try'. It must be second nature, like a laugh or a giggle," she said. "Flapping is unnecessary for our wings will lift us as we sigh." And sigh she did. To demonstrate her skill she breathed in and out just a little and was lifted gracefully off the leaf.

"If you are seen," she turned suddenly serious and wagged her tiny finger, " you must never fly in haste, for in doing so, you may not see the danger that could lie in front of you!"

The babes gasped in fright. They had never left the protection of the faerie hill and only wondered at what the outside world would be like. Now, they learned there could be 'danger'.

"You must tend to the task you are given. Do it quickly and then return here. Some of the other living creatures don't understand us and thus wish us harm. But some are fascinated with us and wish to capture us and imprison us in glass cages."

One of the babes sobbed softly so afraid had she grown during Sabela speech. One of the older faeries flew and sat next to her, patting her hand gently.

"But in all my days," Sabela declared, "I have never seen one of our group taken. Or harmed. But it would be remiss of me if I had not warned you! Now my precious little ones smile and proceed to your next class. I believe today you learn to fly!"

The faerie babes giggled, as this was the class they had all waited for. They would learn to channel their emotions into flight and would then begin their lives as creatures of the breeze.

© Copyright 2001 Sharon - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2001-06-14 03:35 PM

Interesting, Sharon. I'm a huge fan of fantasy, especially in seeing how different authors portray the same creatures. I like your begining here, but I think it would be great if you would expand on your ideas here. Showing us all a bit of Faerie Hill and the school and such would be wonderful. Enjoyed this one greatly  

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
2 posted 2001-06-14 03:46 PM

Thank you sir. I wrote this quickly and would have expanded it but didn't know how it would be recieved here. Perhaps I'll read up on Fairies and post a sequel. Thank you for reading.
Death of Valor
since 2000-06-09
Posts 20
New Orleans
3 posted 2001-06-16 12:49 PM

^_^  I love fairies, and you've done a lovely job here.  I would be interested if you would expand it.  I can see the little fairies playing and giggling, while the older students feel very grown up....  ^_^  Or whatnot.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2005-12-24 12:34 PM

Yup this one gets read aloud tonight for sure.  Merry Christmas Sharon from me and my goils.
tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
5 posted 2006-01-01 06:46 PM

Hi Sharon

Thanks for posting this, I was captivated by it, I love fairies and this was absolutley beautiful, filled with lots of images which were devine....Pleassssseee work on the sequel as I'd love to have this continued.

~hugs~
Tracie

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » School for Faeries

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary