navwin » Discussion » Q & A » You say..."to-mah-to"...I say?
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic You say..."to-mah-to"...I say? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2002-05-12 02:12 AM

t'maters!

Now, somebody please explain to me, why is the Boston Celtics pronounced with the soft "c"--- the "ess" sound? And we all know...(don't we guys? just nod yes) that Celtic, is properly pronounced with a hard C (hmmmm...a hard C..somehow just typing that distracted me... ) where was I?  oh yes...as in, say 'k'-eltic....

Hmmm...(serenity exits, pondering life's perplexities... )

© Copyright 2002 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
1 posted 2002-05-12 02:22 AM

Bah..
Don't you have anything better to do? Some poetry to write?
**jenn swats*

How grave is my condition, for I cannot find the words to say, I need you so.
~Sarah MacLachlan~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2002-05-12 02:28 AM

Jenn? I DID write a poem about this...sigh...

I spared ya!

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2002-05-12 02:35 AM

While I no longer follow the NBA, I was a Lakers fan for a very long time, back in the "Magic" days of basketball. You don't even want to KNOW how I always pronounced their rival's name.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2002-05-12 02:46 AM

IT'S RONNIE BABY!!!!

See? Just like God, he shows up in unexpected places... grinning

(say yes...say yes...say yes...)

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2002-05-12 06:55 PM

Actually, Serenity, this goes back to the early days of basketball in Boston. They had received permission to have a professional team but the players they were given or allocated were the dregs of the league. The basketball skills were atrocious and they seldom won a game. The crowds, enthusiastic at first, began to dwindle and few seats were filled for the home games. The owner was losing a fortune and tried all forms of advertising and ways to get fans back. He decided to enlist the help of the players since their salaries depended upon fans paying to watch them. In their third year, he made it mandatory for each team player to sell at least 100 tickets for each home game, through personal appearances, charisma, or by whatever means necessary. He had meetings. He tried to brainwash them. Every time he walked into the locker room after a practice he screamed out two words over and over..SELL TICKETS! SELL TICKETS! SELL TICKETS! It soon became a mantra for the  team. He would scream and they would repeat...SELL TICKETS! They were obsessed, walking around all day mumbling those words to themselves and anyone within earshot. Over time the the phrase was shortened to SELL TICKS and it became so popular that the team name was changed. So you see, Serenity, they are not talking about those giants on that island...they are repeating the phrase that helped them to survive those rough early days! (and they couldn't spell worth a darn!)

Take it as gospel....from the Balladeer

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 2002-05-12 10:05 PM

Yo - Deer...

You wanna be invited back to the Boston area??... HHmmmm???... You wanna look Larry Byrd square in the eye and tell this story??... Ya think???

Truth is... Our language gives the "e" after "c" combo a soft "c"... Ergo we all screw it up... It's those guys who made the Americanized rules of grammar who did it...

Come to think of it - They probably come from 'Bah-stun' toooo... Likely those antiquated 'Hah-vahd' types...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2002-05-12 10:27 PM

OH...man...now I'm not sure WHO to believe!

ROFLMAO...tho...great story, Mike. And thank you Nan for making SENSE...hugs to all with giggles...until my next head scratcher, that is!

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2002-05-17 02:40 PM

Because everyone near the Harbor has been polluted by a combination of brown water, the closing of Boston Garden and the traffic nightmare that is the Big Dig.

Simple enough.

Mike, master of revisionist history

She said burn ... together.
-TON

Alicia
since 2002-03-22
Posts 279

9 posted 2002-05-17 03:29 PM

~Ahhaha, bsquirrel!!!

The watah's not that bad anymoowah, honest. And 'the gahden', oh,...the gahden, rahmembah when,...and don't get me stahted on the big dig, gr.

LOL, you're funny.

(funny?!? - funny how?!?)

(I've no idea why celtics is pronounced so).

*Peace.

[This message has been edited by Alicia (05-17-2002 03:33 PM).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
10 posted 2002-05-17 09:36 PM

Then thay-ah's CHEE-AHS...
Um.. I mean..
CHEERS...

[This message has been edited by Nan (05-17-2002 09:37 PM).]

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2002-05-22 04:21 PM

Alicia --

Be glad I didn't get started on Logan airport!

Signed,
Some guy from New Hampshire livin' in California where the weather's nicer

(that's why I usually just sign off as Mike)

She said burn ... together.
-TON

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » You say..."to-mah-to"...I say?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary