navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Haiku Questions
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Haiku Questions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2000-06-20 09:44 PM

Why is it that a haiku can't be rhymed?

How do you write a free-form haiku?is it up to the poet's discretion or are there still some rules which you have to follow?

will you consider animals as part of nature?

is there such a thing as a haiku-senyru?that is, a natural scene sets you writing some philosophical stuff

when will we have a haiku/tanka/senyru forum?

thanx for ur help in advance

© Copyright 2000 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
1 posted 2000-12-01 12:21 PM

looking back at these questions,

i realise that we wont have a haiku/senryu/tanka forum...

i believe animals are part of nature...

what i mean by free-form haiku is that why do most of the haiku i read not follow the 5-7-5 syllable count?....i think you can write a haiku with less than 17 syllables but i too think theres a school of thought which preaches that those poems which do not follow 5-7-5 count CANT be counted as haiku...CONFUSED here

eager to hear some thoughts....

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2000-12-01 07:05 AM

kaile - Did ya ever feel like you were talking to yourself??...

You're right - there are a couple of schools of thought on this issue.  Traditionalists say you need to adhere to format - Liberalists disagree...  It's similar in other formatted poetry, such as the sonnet, the villanelle, the pantoum, & others...

My personal opinion is that you need to know how to follow the rules properly before you can break them properly... Ergo - my workshops are designed to teach the standard formats of poetic works...

One of our most proficient haikuists here at Passions is Beki - Very few people are aware of that, as she doesn't post all that often... She's been around a bit lately, though... Maybe we could get some input from her...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Haiku Questions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary