navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Animal sounds - help please?
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Animal sounds - help please? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands

0 posted 2005-11-13 07:18 AM

At the moment I am in the middle of writing a children's story. Two of the characters are wolves and one is a snow owl.

I am facing the problem that none of my dictionaries translate animal sounds. How do I describe the howl of a wolf and what does an owl sound like in English?

For now I've used "whoo-hoo" for a howl and "owhooooo" for a painful howl. For the owl I simply used the Dutch "oehoe," but I'm sure it's something else in English. LOL Also I am looking for variants, such as a call in distress, a bark and yap. What would an owl sound like giving a warning signal, or grumbling? Yeah, I know my imagination is taking over, but isn't that what writing is all about?  

Anyway, all help will be greatly appreciated and my gratefulness everlasting.  

Thanks,
Munda

© Copyright 2005 Munda - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2005-11-13 07:30 AM

How about this:

http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ballc/animals/animals-spelling.html

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2005-11-13 12:46 PM

Sharon, my girls love that site!  You can find anything I swear.  

Way to go Munda, can't wait to hear about your book news.

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 posted 2005-11-13 04:33 PM

Thanks a zillion Sharon! Now I don't only know what an American owl sounds like, but an English owl too. Geesh, I never thought there would be a difference between those.

Unfortunately this site tells me a wolf howls. LOL Yeah, that much I knew. I guess I've got to surf the internet a little too. Thank you very much though. You are now mentioned in the book of everlasting gratitude. :P

Mysterious one: I have only started writing my first draft, so this project is far from finished. It will take another couple of weeks I figure. Somehow my kids want food on the table too at least once a day. I will submit the synopsis in the prose forum, so you'll know what the story is going to be about. No surprises left though, except for the things I come up with writing the actual story and we both know that could be anything.

Thanks for your replies ladies.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-11-13 08:49 PM

Munda,

a wolf, out in the open, has a very mournful, haunting sound.  It comes from the deepest part of the soul of the hunt...for either mate, or need...

It is long, and reaches the moon, only to come back, and search the soul of those who hear.  Not with fear, but of what.

What lives, what dies, what circles us.

I know that the above doesn't make the sound, but perhaps, some of the feeling of a wolf's sound.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Animal sounds - help please?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary