navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poet's Prayer (Please Respond to This...)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poet's Prayer (Please Respond to This...) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA

0 posted 2000-01-20 04:31 AM

Just a couplet remains,
And I feel strange--insane.
If I finish, my magic may be gone;
But I know if I don't I'll be up past dawn
Waiting for inspiration
Or a complication
To enter my mind.
Will I find something else
Interesting to do in the meantime?
Well, that's fine...
Just please help me rhyme...

It's four a.m.,
And I don't know who I am.

[This message has been edited by Wordshaman (edited 01-21-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Greg Butler - All Rights Reserved
Vincent Spaulding
since 2000-01-16
Posts 59

1 posted 2000-01-20 04:37 AM

Another insomniac, I see.  I too agonize over my poetry in the middle of the night.  It seems that "meaning of life" issues seem so important in the middle of the night. My best ideas come to me when I'm not really trying. I've been trying not to try for a couple years now.  Writer's block.
Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
2 posted 2000-01-20 04:43 AM

lol--I saw another person posting, and I was absolutely amazed.  Don't read this poem.  It's not indicative of the work I generally do.  I was experimenting with something, and I want to see the reaction to it.  Read one of the others that are floating around here.  They're a little better.  
Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
3 posted 2000-01-20 05:41 PM

Can some of you fine people out there tell me what's wrong with this thing?  I ached over it for five minutes after I wrote it last night, and I don't know.  It thought you could help...

Wordshaman

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2000-01-20 05:57 PM

WS:

"Just a couplet remains,
And I feel strange, and insane."

I certainly have been there (especially while trying to finish my sestina for Nan's workshop here in the Forum).  I can understand feeling "strange" but feeling "insane" doesn't seem to fit in here as well as feeling "disoriented" or "bewildered" or "unfocused".  If I am reading this right, I think you are describing that numb feeling that you get when you've been concentrating on writing something for a long time and every idea seems to slip through your fingers.

"If I finish, my magic may be gone,
But if I don't, I know I'll be up past dawn
Waiting for inspiration
Or a complication
To enter my mind."

I like this line (the contrast of inspiration and complication is spoken true).

"Will I find something else
Interesting to do in the meantime?"

You know the answer to this question already!  

"Well, that's fine..."

Resignation?

"Just please help me rhyme..."

Nope, you just can't let it go.

"It's four a.m.,
And I don't know who I am."

Is this your "one couplet" you mentioned in the first lines of the poem?  If so you pulled off something interesting.  Is your concluding couplet intended to juxtapose with the poem we don't see (the one you are struggling over all night)?  I may be way off on this but I thought I would give it a shot.

Later (late for class).

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
5 posted 2000-01-20 11:16 PM

I thought this was really funny.  The last line, made me laugh out loud.  Its great.  I totally relate to that indecision of what to do when inspiration hits.  I used to tell myself when i would be just lying down to sleep, and all these ideas would be swirling in my head, that i would force myself to write down what was in my head until it wasn't any longer.  The problem was that it started a waterfall of new ideas, so i literally would be up at 4am, tired as hell, but hanging on desperately to my pen, to write, to get it out.  There have been many mornings when i've woken up face to the page, and drool as my poem.  I should say i've since cultivated restraint, and a bit of reason, to not see things as so immediate.  Great work.
Willem
since 1999-11-18
Posts 139
Inverness, FL, USA
6 posted 2000-01-20 11:48 PM

Until now I thought I was the only one on this forum crazy enough to stay up that late trying to find just the right words for a poem or essay... But here I find a fellow victim of this addictive preoccupation...
I can't find anything wrong, line after line describes exact my own feelings under such circumstances, simply and honestly.
However, I find the line, "interesting to do in the mean time" somewhat less smooth, rhythmically, then the rest of the poem. Why not say,
"Could I, meanwhile,
find something else worth doing?"
I wouldn't tinker with the rhyme in a poem  that's good already. IMHO, rhyme should be a friend, not a dictator. Meter is a poem's heart beat, without which it's dead...

Willem

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-01-21 06:39 AM

Words,
I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but if it doesn't feel right to you, then you should work on it till it does.  I find that putting something away for a week or two, and then working on it again brings a new perspective.  Again, I think it's good.

Vincent Spaulding
since 2000-01-16
Posts 59

8 posted 2000-01-21 07:31 AM

Here are my thoughts:

Just a couplet remains,
And I feel strange, and insane. (I'd leave out the second "and" in order to intensify the line.)
If I finish, my magic may be gone,
But if I don't, I know I'll be up past dawn (I'd word it more concisely, "But if I don't, I may be up past dawn.")
Waiting for inspiration
Or a complication
To enter my mind.  (These last three lines have a novel turn to them.)
Will I find something else
Well, that's fine...

It's four a.m.,

(I'm always happiest when night is over.  Darkness has an inexplicable effect on my mind. So I can identify with the last two lines.)

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
9 posted 2000-01-21 10:05 AM

WordS,

If that was a real request, I think Warmhrt gave the best advice, I you're not satisfied, take a break the work on it later until you are.

This is the second poem I have seen here today relating to difficulty in finding the words. I hope this is not an indication that we are all about to "dry up."

Thanks.

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
10 posted 2000-01-21 02:38 PM

My suggestions are a bit different than Vincents...although he and I chose the same lines as ones we had difficulty with

Just a couplet remains,
I feel strange, and insane. (leave out the initial and)
If I finish, my magic may be gone,
If not, I'll be up past dawn(much too long of a sentance, it threw the rhythm way off...it reads better this way)
Waiting here for inspiration
Or perhaps a complication
To enter my mind.
Will I find something else (I wonder if the direct variance from the rhyme here was intentional?)
Well, that's fine...

It's four a.m.,

< !signature-->

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. ~Plato

[This message has been edited by hoot_owl_rn (edited 01-21-2000).]

Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
11 posted 2000-01-21 02:43 PM

It's four a.m.,

... should, of course read...

It's four a.m.,
And I don't know who I em.

Kevin

"Poetry is, at once, what you get... and how you got there."

Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
12 posted 2000-01-21 05:04 PM

I found my words...see how that edit strikes you...

Wordshaman

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2000-01-23 05:04 PM

Poet’s Prayer

Why must I write at this hour?
While other mortals sleep?
When all is quiet I will arise
and to my computer will creep.

So full is my soul of words unspoken
of feelings I must share.
I rise again, in the dead of night
and begin my poet’s prayer.

Deliver me from pedantry,
from silly limerick ways.
Give me depth and heart and love
and sometimes, give me praise.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Poet's Prayer (Please Respond to This...)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary