navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Apartment Sketch
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Apartment Sketch Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA

0 posted 2000-01-18 04:52 PM

I hold her hair out of her face
As she throws up and coughs and cries...
"Christ you're sick,"
I sigh and take her into my
Arms on the tile floor
Next to the toilet.
"I'm sorry," I say putting my head against hers.
"For what?" she asks.
I just gesture, meaning the apartment.

We don't even have the money
To pay for her medicine,
And I sense a trip to the emergency room
Before the night's through.

She sighs, every muscle
Collapsing against mine.
I stroke her hair,
Knowing full well we weren't ready for this.

© Copyright 2000 Greg Butler - All Rights Reserved
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

1 posted 2000-01-18 04:59 PM

"we weren't ready for this"

no-one ever is.  as you remind us. i hope this is imagined, or long past, but if not . . . hold in there, we do understand and you've said it well and clearly.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-01-18 05:06 PM

WS:

I sure hope this isn't autobiographical.  If so, I echo Ted's sentiments.  The last line is the kicker.

My only criticism is that this seems more like prose than poetry, as I have been taught to distinguish the two.  Poetry shows, prose tells.  This (again, as I was taught) is what distinguishes free-verse from prose.  I could be wrong here.  

Regardless of "what" it is, this is well written and moving.  Thanks for the read.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
3 posted 2000-01-18 05:12 PM

JB...

If you keep going with what you've been taught, you and I are going to butt heads for an infinite length of time.  Just so you know.  I've got a very "quiet", almost solemn way of writing, sometimes simple, sometimes complex...  I don't buy into the "shows/tells" distinction of poetry and prose.  I've been told the same thing by some mentors and teachers, and I've never bought into it.  I would invite you to color outside the lines, dear poet.  THAT is what poetry does.  Breaks down all barriers.  Adieu et au revoir.

Wordshaman

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2000-01-18 05:19 PM

WS:

No offense intended, my Shamany friend.  No need for butting heads here.  I'm willing to keep an open mind ... just passing along what I've learned along the way.  Let's focus on what we can agree on with this one, okay?  Whether passion or prose, this was well written and I enjoyed it.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
5 posted 2000-01-18 05:28 PM

I was being amicable...I guess my brand of humor has not yet been felt out.  I'm terribly easy going.  Don't worry about me.  No war of the words this one.  I thank you for your complimentary words, by the way.  

Wordshaman

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
6 posted 2000-01-18 07:46 PM

I agree, it is prose-like, BUT it still works well for me.  In fact, it gave me a slight stomach ache.  That is powerful feeling that doesn't happen too much to me.  I think that is part of what makes this piece poetry, rather than prose.  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2000-01-18 10:08 PM

Ah! Welcome to Passions! Glad to have you here and I'm glad you posted this poem. I find it tender and loving..a free verse.. but then I don't read with my head but with my heart. Welcome to the family!

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
8 posted 2000-01-19 05:21 AM

This is a powerful portrait.

Your style lends much to this, straight-forward reality uncut by flowery imagery. A nice slice that broke me out of the la-da-dee with a slap to a strong finish (the perfect close)

KUDOS!
~haze

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

9 posted 2000-01-19 11:47 AM

Words,
I echo the sentiments voiced in the first couple of comments.  I would also like to say
that this is a very good piece of work ... powerful in it's simplicity.  And I definitely do agree with your definition of poetry, and thank you for stating it.
This piece evoked memories for me, too.
Great work!

warmhrt

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Apartment Sketch

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary