navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » (Abstract Verse) Mojo (From RedBook3)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic (Abstract Verse) Mojo (From RedBook3) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA

0 posted 2000-01-17 11:03 AM

Mojo

Amber she pours
as moonstone
gasoline into Tuesday
tea
Meteorite bubbles Jade

pop-pop-pop

more green eyes follow.

Follow this link for the discussed illustration http://memberpage.women.com/computers/hazeydaze/images/mojo.gif  
< !signature-->

"I shall leave nothing before matchsticks."

[This message has been edited by haze (edited 01-17-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Haze McElhenny - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-01-17 11:26 AM

How does one critique abstract verse?  I loved the visual accompaniment (oddly enough, it helped me make sense, albeit abstractly, of the verse).

Enjoyed this much, lady.  

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
2 posted 2000-01-17 11:32 AM

JB...

If it is esoteric enough to be universal (enough) that you found an image inside of your self-appointed left-brain philosophies...I guess I did good.

This is just a piece of Digital Dallying by moi. Maybe I should have saved it til after the readings... maybe it gives too much away...

In short-I would suggest that even in the abstract, if it invokes an image or emotion, than the abstract was effective...

Thank you much for the read my friend
Til Again
~haze

karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
3 posted 2000-01-17 11:36 AM

pardon the cliche, but this poem is like a jewel.  perhaps it has something to do with the mention of several jewels in the poem itself, or the jewel-like colors in your visual art.  in any case, both are utterly amazing, and i heap on you the highest of my praises, for what they're worth.  i absolutely adore this!

"My empire is of the imagination." -- She

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2000-01-17 11:46 AM

I think it is... Mojo

and so is the graphic...lovely!

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
5 posted 2000-01-17 11:54 AM

Karneliann...Thank you. I value your praise, treasure it. As I said before, I will gladly give it to you straight as that is what I would like in return. So I will take this straight and thank you again.

TA...~haze
LR...Crimson Thank yous...Til Again...~haze

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2000-01-17 12:00 PM

Haze:

Don't let this get out too much, but I am left-brained by discipline.  I DO have a right brain (I just keep it on a leash).     It didn't give too much away.  Just helped a visual thinker visualize.  Made the experience quite a positive one.  Thanks.

Jim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2000-01-17 05:19 PM

Haze, I loved the graphic but I must admit the words just went right over my head this time. I mean, they were pretty enough words, except for gasoline maybe, but I just couldn't put them together. I'll keep trying though. And thanks for your help.

Pete

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
8 posted 2000-01-17 05:36 PM

Jim, my friend...
We all know you are the proud possessor of an ambidextrous brain, who did you think you were fooling? (Not I said the cat)
) Thank you...
Pete,

(May I call you Pete?) The mojo in this case (the source of magic) is fixed in the property of gemstones...what she is doing is pouring the magic into a dull gray day (a non-day like Tuesday, just my particular choice.) I used the "more green eyes follow" to try to illuminate the day as seen through the magic & mystery held in green eyes.

I don't do much with abstract, its a new venue...I'm trying it on. I don't know that I'm crazy about it...I'm just trying it on.
Add that to the fact that I have picked an esoteric topic and *bing*
Do you feel like your looking at a Picasso through a Dali-Scope?

(if you do, does it make you want to go further? does it stop you?)

Thank you both my friends...
Til Again,
~haze

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
9 posted 2000-01-17 09:03 PM

Haze,
I'm not much for abstract, though I do believe it definetly has a place in all art...and life for that matter, so to be blunt about the poem....I just didn't dig it, nothing personal, I thought you did the form justice, just I isn't-ain't and probably will never be all too crazy for the style(though I often think I'd like to try it sometime instead of looking from the outside...perhaps then my fondness for this style would grow), but what I did want to comment about was how the picture inspired your words and how your words could inspire a completely different picture which in turn could then inspire completely different words...and so on and so forth, the creative process may actually be an infinite...anyways just a little thought that perhaps seemed interesting enough at it's time of conception but will probably read more dull through retrospect. Thanks for the read, take care,
Trevor

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
10 posted 2000-01-17 09:22 PM

haze-
i read this aloud three times to make sure that i was getting from it what i was supposed to be getting.  i think it's a great descriptive piece, but also, it has a sort of rhythm to it that makes it most appealing.  i don't know why.  i can't really describe it, but it's great.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
11 posted 2000-01-18 10:12 AM

Haze,
Thanks for the personal explanation. That helps a little but I guess I'm just a little too dense (or maybe old fashioned (or maybe just old) to really understand. But you do have a way with words. And please call me Pete, if you are so inclined.

Pete

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
12 posted 2000-01-18 10:30 AM

Trevor...
Thank you for your honest views (it is always what I want & need) On the creative proccess: Yes, I do know where you are going, it works alot with me that way. Poems inspire pictures, inspire poems, and yet more pictures. The cycle feeds itself if I allow it. The only problem (for me) with that is I then get stuck on a train and can't find the pull chord to stop the patterns. I like fresh images so I try not to use & reuse (to often) although Corso did it to mark his works, it can sometimes be a trap... Well enough of that...Thank you again Trevor...

Til Again
~haze
Oh roxanne...
I personally have been working around this one, not sure to keep it or let it go...I have taken to reading it aloud, letting it expand on the breath, so on. I thank you...that another feels the flows and bubbles; Well...between you and karneliann, its life is saved.
I am going to work it into a performance piece in my audio files. I have an ezine editor that likes my voice renditions (ugh)
so this will be the true telling...*S*

I thank you twice...TA...~haze
Pete,
thank you gain for the re-read and your honest feelings. Also, thank you for the broad compliment...its warming to read comments like that.  I thank you twice.
On Abstract Experssion:
I don't think its age or density deciding...
i have looked at many "Great" works of abstract (poetry & paint) Sometimes I wonder *g* "why this one?" when the other goes so through me? Abstract lends itself, I think, to personal preference. Is it good, bad, or indifferent...who knows. I think abstract is like Ginger, you love it or hate it...nothing less¬hing more...

TilAgain,
~haze

X-My Heart...one day I will learn to type...  

[This message has been edited by haze (edited 01-18-2000).]

Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
13 posted 2000-01-18 04:35 PM

I, on the other hand, would have traded the clinker I call my soul to have written it. That and maybe a few other things.

Well... there's a box of unused lines, and um... I have several rhymes that have NEVER been used. Mint... well almost... I only had them in my mouth a half dozen times. Tops.

Kevin

"Poetry is, at once, what you get... and how you got there."

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
14 posted 2000-01-19 11:11 AM

thank you kevin taylor...
there are days when I would take you up on that offer (even for the ABC ones) *L*

Thank you again

~haze

BTW-GREAT website you have there...really GREAT-Strong Kudos!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » (Abstract Verse) Mojo (From RedBook3)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary