navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » paper cuts
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic paper cuts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA

0 posted 2000-01-14 10:17 AM

this was really written to be performed, but since i've been sitting on this awhile and have not yet had that happy opportunity, i figured i'd let you folks have a look.  but please keep in mind that this works better as a performance piece.

paper cuts
accumulate on my fleshy palms
even though I am a friend of fat cat's
he would gladly drown me in a paper bag
if it would turn a profit
listen to the chorus of stale minds crumbling
against the background drone
of fluorescent bars
beige, grey, taupe, white, plastic and metal
edging out the colors from my brain
and the rain, the acid rain
pissing from above
you'd think it wouldn't get me
on account of the glass ceiling and all
but it always seems to seep down
dripping from the soles of kitty's wingtips
new and improved
clinging to little bits of gravel and slush
cuz it's winter
it's always winter
so of course nothing grows
the little fruit there is
kitty sucks out the juice
adulterate, distribute
throw away the pulp
where the real nutrition is
(at least that's what my mom says)
but I'm a kitten myself
and I drink 10% fruit juice
and I like it
cuz who wants to squeeze their own oranges?
it's a pain, and besides, I'm tired
so I got some band-aids for my paper cuts
and I'm gonna watch some tv
so just gimme a shove
and tell me
if my colors
are bleeding
into the sofa.

< !signature-->

"My empire is of the imagination." -- She

[This message has been edited by karneliann (edited 01-14-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 karneliann - All Rights Reserved
Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
1 posted 2000-01-14 11:10 AM

This poem is a little bit abstract for my tastes, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I especially liked
"and the rain, the acid rain
pissing from above
you'd think it wouldn't get me
on account of the glass ceiling and all
but it always seems to seep down"

and although it takes away somewhat from the flow of the poem, I like the line "(at least that's what my mom says)" for its contribution to the voice and character of the speaker.

karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
2 posted 2000-01-14 11:25 AM

yeah, it's tough for me because when i read it, i hear it in my head how i say the words, but you don't have the same special effects.  i don't think it sounds as abstract when i speak it.  as i said before, i think this piece would be more effective performed.

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

3 posted 2000-01-14 11:34 AM

WOW!  I really like your work. I'd say the narrator truly dislikes her boss, and her paper-pushing job. I know the feeling ...
I quit, and went back to college.
Great piece!

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 2000-01-15 12:23 PM

karneliann: you're quickly becoming one of my favorite poets to read on this forum... your imagery is superb and your poems flow smoothly (even if they are irregular verse)... for some reason i see this one as a pink floyd song or something of that nature... *shrugs* dont ask why, i have an odd mind (and apparently so do you -- i like that *waa haa haa haa haa haa*)  

sincerely,

**jerome the boy whose brain got left out in the rain and nobody bothered to dry it off when they put it back in

karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
5 posted 2000-01-15 10:09 AM

jerome- you sure know how to get to me--one of the best compliments you can give me is to tell me i'm different. i'm glad you enjoy reading my stuff (even if it is all free verse).  you crack me up; i feel much the same about your work.  maybe i'll tackle a sonnet one of these days and let you rip me apart.

warmhrt- you can be sure that i've already put in my application to return to school!

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
6 posted 2000-01-15 05:22 PM

karneliann: *heh* i wouldn't know how to "rip" a sonnet apart even if i had a textbook with me... i pretty much just get mine ripped apart (note my other posts on this forum ^_^*)... oh, and i do write free-verse myself sometimes, but it's usually LONG free-verse... not overly-lengthy poems, just long running verses (if you've ever read any of jack kerouac's prose or alan ginsberg's howl then you'd know what i'm talking about)... if you want to rip my free-verse apart then look for my poem "Symposium" posted in Open Poetry #5 around 4:00 am on 1-15-00 (it's buried somewhere with no responses)... i'm too scared to post my free-verse here...    

waiting for my roomate to wake-up,

**jerome the boy whose brain got left out in the rain and nobody bothered to dry it off when they put it back in

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » paper cuts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary