navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » bodies under blankets
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic bodies under blankets Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA

0 posted 2000-01-13 11:14 AM

bodies under blankets

driving back
after dusk
violet bruises fading to black
humps and bumps of appalachians
awaken in me
the memory of your sleeping form
illuminated by drowsy sunlight
quivering slightly under the a.c.
snowy caps and hollows beckon
urging pilgrims' palms to touch
and I know manifest destiny
it's within arm's reach
shifting swishingly under the sheet
in the early morning hours
of secret surveillance

< !signature-->

"My empire is of the imagination." -- She

[This message has been edited by karneliann (edited 01-13-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 karneliann - All Rights Reserved
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
1 posted 2000-01-13 06:02 PM

Karneliann,

this is beautiful...

the "swishingly" was a stopper (I don't think you need it) I tripped over it a few times. Other than that this is very good. it sings of romance & "secret surveillence" What a line!

Over all-Truly, I loved it!

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
2 posted 2000-01-14 11:18 AM

Beautiful truly is the word.  This poem seems to let the reader explore a moment that is very intimate, almost magical, to the speaker.  "violet bruises fading to black" and "in the early morning hours/
of secret surveillance" were among my favorite lines.

simplyYRREHS
since 2000-01-03
Posts 162

3 posted 2000-01-14 11:35 AM

Beautiful indeed!  And I loved "swishingly". That is so descriptive for me!  Can hear and feel with that one word, the coolness and the way a sheet moves with "bodies underneath".  Enjoyed your work!

Sherry

karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
4 posted 2000-01-14 11:48 AM

thanks everyone, this poem is dear to me; i hoped it would get a positive response.  and thanks, sherry, i'm glad you like my "swishingly," cuz i was all ready to defend it.  i thought it captured the feeling of smooth, cool sheets.  it's intentionally a toungue twister; even if you trip over it, i thought it worked in this context.  but, as they say, to each her own.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2000-01-14 11:57 AM

Kar:

I too stumbled a bit over "swishingly" when I read this out loud.  But aside from that there is very little negative criticism I can offer this one.  The imagery is vivid and the romantic feeling is palpable.  Excellent work.

One more thing (this IS CA   ).  The lowercases throughout were distracting to me when I read "Appalachians" and "Manifest Destiny".  Just my opinion, though.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

karneliann
since 1999-10-28
Posts 44
Baltimore, MD, USA
6 posted 2000-01-14 02:07 PM

jim-

believe me, i don't mind the criticism.  this is critical analysis, after all, and as much as i'm tickled when people like my poetry, i don't mind some criticism.  

i'd like there to be some sort of discussion.  one of the best compliments a person could give me would be to consider my work thought-provoking.

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
7 posted 2000-01-15 08:47 PM

karneliann--

i really liked this piece, it is, like all of yours out here, incredibly interesting and thought-provoking, presented with a calm, contemplative yet almost dream-like tone.  

i loved the r/j reference, and the humps and bumps of the appalachians.  (i'm not bothered by the lack of capitalization, i actually prefer it myself.)  "swishingly" i also liked, lol.  

but one thing that bothered me about the piece?  the manifest destiny lines seem, i don't know, a little out of place here or something, they ring a false note in my ear.  perhaps it's the change in tone in those lines, from the somewhat whistful mind-drifting-off-to-memory mood of the preceding lines to the bolder, aggressive connotations the phrase "manifest destiny" invokes.  maybe that's what you intended, lol.  (i will say from the manifest destiny lines to the end the tone is much darker, more disturbing, especially the last line.)  as i read it, the "snowy caps and hollows" of the sleeping form give rise or trigger an urge in the speaker for "manifest destiny", a desire to possess, tame, control, or 'take' the sleeping 'land' below, with somewhat sinister intentions, and i see this in conflict not only with the lovely recollection of romeo and juliet just preceding, but also with the "violet bruises fading" in the third line.  (i read the "bruises" as being the speaker's own, and think of the speaker, in the first ten lines, anyway, as one acquainted with pain, but not a conqueror.)  i wonder, therefore, whether a little more in the beginning, or less at the end, would serve you better here.  just a thought.

like i said, an incredibly provocative piece.  thank you very much for posting this here.

jenni

[This message has been edited by jenni (edited 01-15-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » bodies under blankets

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary