navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Reshiyth
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Reshiyth Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kenneth Ray Taylor
since 1999-11-11
Posts 139
Duluth, Minnesota, USA

0 posted 2000-01-08 02:41 AM

An experimental piece...

RESHIYTH

LIGHT.

SKY & 
WATERS.

EARTH jutting
forth from sea.
Grass & trees.

LIGHT divided.
Heaven fitted
with sun & moon
& countless stars.

SKY & WATERS filled
with living creatures,
winged birds of flight &
monsters of the sea.
Go forth, multiply.

The land too, let it teem
with beasts & creeping things.
And now my master touch,
a creature who alone
bears my very image.  
Rule over all the EARTH!

All is perfect, all is good,
harmony, symmetry.
What is left to do  
when all is done?
I think I'll
simply
rest.

[This message has been edited by Kenneth Ray Taylor (edited 01-12-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Kenneth Ray Taylor - All Rights Reserved
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
1 posted 2000-01-08 04:18 AM

Kenneth,
   Bravo!!! A religious work in open format. I love the idea, the format, the approach. Good imagery and a very original piece. Sorry I can't say more, but I would be proud to have written something like this.
                 J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

Hawk183
since 1999-12-24
Posts 130

2 posted 2000-01-09 11:44 PM

Hey....This is really cool!
The style works very well for the poem.  I like the "God" perspective...you have just written the poem version of Genesis(from Gods own Forum,no doubt).I loved it.

Hawk

Kenneth Ray Taylor
since 1999-11-11
Posts 139
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
3 posted 2000-01-10 07:47 AM

Thank you both.  I tried to give the feeling of symmetry in this poem.  The first six stanzas are squares (1x1,2x2,3x3,4x4,5x5,and 6x6). This also reflects the increasing complexity of each day of creation. The final staza winds the whole thing down (7654321), giving it a feeling of rest. In the first three days God creates Light, Sky & Waters, and Earth.  In the next three days he furnishes these three, Light, Sky & Waters, and Earth. Hence I capitalized these key words.
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2000-01-10 02:12 PM

Very interesting. I read it and guess I noticed the line and stanza lengths changing but it didn't really register until I read your comment. Guess I am just a little slow (evidence again that I should be reading this stuff and learning rather than trying to be a critic). An interesting subject, an interesting format and very well done. Thanks.

Pete

Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
5 posted 2000-01-11 03:04 AM

The only thing I'd reconsider is the use of:
"And now my master touch," ... master introduces an ego of inflated proportions. Since there is no touch but His then there is no reason to qualify it.... there is nothing to compare it to.

Just a nit.. a godly nit.. otherwise... well knit (arrrggghhhh! punned at last!)

Kevin

Kenneth Ray Taylor
since 1999-11-11
Posts 139
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
6 posted 2000-01-11 07:48 AM

Thank you all for your kind comments.  As for calling the making of man "my master touch"... No ego was intended, any more than when God calls all of his creation "good."  Nowadays it's commonplace to downgrade man in comparison with the world around him. I think it's an unhealthy trend.  I'm more in the camp of Saint John who wrote, "Behold what love the Father hath toward us that we should be called the children of God" (1 John 3:1).  Man, being created in God's image, has an inherent dignity that must never be compromised.  The last time I read Genesis 1, I was awestruck (as if reading it for the first time) at what an incredible thing it is to think that we are made in His very image.
Vincent Spaulding
since 2000-01-16
Posts 59

7 posted 2000-01-21 08:09 AM

An interesting approach. A little too mathematical for my taste, but good nonetheless.  I'll pass this on to a pastor friend of mine.  What does Reyshiyth mean anyway--creation?
Kenneth Ray Taylor
since 1999-11-11
Posts 139
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
8 posted 2000-01-21 08:12 AM

Vincent, "Reshiyth" is the first word in the book of Genesis, meaning, "Beginning."
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Reshiyth

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary