navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » What's A Hoodoo?
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic What's A Hoodoo? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

0 posted 1999-10-28 05:58 PM

Blues and bayous --
southern soul food to fill
the belly of the culture.
Delta's and crossroads,
cotton fields and moonshine.
Chasing down a hoodoo....
What's a hoodoo?

A culture known so well to those
who stop by, now and then, and yet
have never actually been there.

In Mississippi, or Hollywood,
the story the Nobel laureate told was true.
Write about human nature --
the roar of the deep south --
it never changes.

© Copyright 1999 Marq - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 1999-10-29 09:10 PM

Hey, is the Marq, scroll Marq, Marq?

Glad to have you over here. Hope you spend some time on other poems (we need all the help we can get)

I have no idea what a hoodoo is but I enjoyed the poem. I like the first stanza the best. The simple structure creates a very easygoing feel for me which reflects how I've always seen the South (I've only been to Virginia one time -- I'm an LA boy).

I like the reference to Faulkner as well.

My only complaint, perhaps, is the last line: human nature never changes in the fact that it is always changing.

Maybe.

Anyway,
thanks
Brad

Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

2 posted 1999-10-30 07:47 PM

Brad,
Yes it is I, the same Marq of the scroll.
Thank you for commenting on my poem.
The quality of poetry here seems very good.
I'm going to try to spend more time
here. I believe a hoodooo is a raccoon, but
that's just what I've heard.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
3 posted 2000-05-08 02:03 AM

Hmmm..Well, hello Marq of the Scroll.   Nice to see you here if it is you and there wasn't another one also. LOL! I'm confused now  I think. This was a most beautiful poem.  

Nothing can deter a poet, for he is actuated by pure love. Who can predict his comings and goings? "Thoreau"

Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

4 posted 2000-05-09 06:43 PM

Nope, no other Marq's at the scroll or here.  Just me.  You must have searched long and hard to find this one from the archives.
I think this is a good poem, but I kind of regret writing it the way I did because I think the best parts of this poem are the inspiration and lines I borrowed from John Fogerty and William Faulkner.  In hindsight I don't consider it to be enough of my own effort to take the credit -- if credit is due -- for it.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2000-05-10 08:33 PM

Marq:

I liked the poem too.  I spend five years in the South and found much of my damn-Yankee Southern accent coming back as I read it.  The only word that didn't seem to fit for me was the word "culture".  I lost my draw with that word. Can't talk that way anymore but I use-ta could.       

I disagree with Brad on the last line, by the way.  Southerners (especially small town Southerners) are EXTREMELY resistant to change and are, generally, proud of their heritage.  They are nothing like the LA crowd (been there too, Brad ... loved In & Out Burger, hated the pizza).

Glad to see you posting here.  I enjoyed the read.

Jim

P.S.  I think hoodoo has something to do with old, southern African American superstitions.  I could be wrong.

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 05-10-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2000-05-12 04:43 AM

Marq,
Liked it the first time. Still like it.

Pizza? In and Out Burger? Jim, your making me homesick.

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » What's A Hoodoo?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary