navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Haiku 1- Bells Outward Ring
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Haiku 1- Bells Outward Ring Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Streen
since 2001-11-28
Posts 169

0 posted 2001-11-28 07:39 PM

Risen heather spring,
bells outward; aromas bring
purple flower-ring

-Derek

© Copyright 2001 Derek Benz - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2001-11-28 07:54 PM

Welcome to Passions, Derek!  I think I'm going to enjoy watching your poetry!

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.

Streen
since 2001-11-28
Posts 169

2 posted 2001-11-28 07:57 PM

Thank you. ^_^ I'm sure I'll be having a wonderful time here.

-Derek

RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
3 posted 2001-11-28 08:50 PM

Hi Streen! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you! : )
Please check your email for special greeting from me!

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
4 posted 2001-11-28 11:19 PM

I'm hardly an expert at haiku, but I know syllable count isn't all there is to it. You've got the nature theme, which is a good start, but the image you present is more of a vague lavender smell sort of idea... haikus, in my experience, are most effective when they provide a simple but enlightening look at nature, and then... the dual nature thereof. I think the rhyme in this distracts from that, as does the unsteady phrasing. Also, traditionally, haikus are left untitled... the idea is that the content of the poem alone should be enough to convey the message.

Hope I've helped.  

-Amy

"this is not who I meant to be
this is not how I meant to feel" -Ani DiFranco

Streen
since 2001-11-28
Posts 169

5 posted 2001-11-29 07:46 PM

Ok, thank you for your helpful comments. The only real reason I included a title was something that could catch the eye of random passerby's in the event that one might peruse its title, find nothing interesting, not open it, and move onwards.  

Thank you for your clarification of what "haiku" constitutes. My sophomore teacher last year only informed us of the syllable count, and not much else. She told us about tanka style, but nothing about the nature of haiku. It was only through my own perusal of others' haiku that I learned it had to deal with nature, but the dual aspect of it I hadn't really picked up yet. Thank you.  

Although, hm, my poem sortly has a dualistic nature to it, though I'm sure it's not the kind you're referring to. My use of the word "flower-ring" was both referring to the flowers "flowering" but also tied into the previous line with the "bells outward" which rang through the "risen" quality of nature; its evolution. I don't know if this actually constitutes what you've learned about haiku, but it's at least a start, methinks.  

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

6 posted 2001-11-30 03:18 PM

Maybe this is just me but I was stuck with the "ings" just seemed too many of them in this one.  I don't know...

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

LadySofia
since 2000-05-16
Posts 238
FL., USA
7 posted 2001-12-04 12:56 PM

Although I am not an expert on haiku, nor can I offer suggestions to help you, I found it pleasant nevertheless. As Balladeer put it, I'm just a common (wo)man.

^_^ LadySofia

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2001-12-15 08:29 AM

I put a haiku thread somewhere, I know I did, I read it...

anyway...haiku is only about nature, with a 5/7/5 syllable count.  Five syllables first line, seven in the second line, five in the third line.

Senryu is a 5/7/5 count, as well, but deals with everything else, i.e., not nature oriented.

But most of all, you must know, whether it be haiku, senryu, or tanka, they are all a pleasant form of writing...sometimes we have marathon writings in Open, where one naturally leads to another...which could eventually form a choka [I believe] if enough poets got in on it...

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2001-12-15 10:06 PM

I enjoyed this. I like the multiple images created by the word play.

Nice job on a form that I increasingly feel is far more difficult than getting the syllables right.

Thanks,
Brad

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

10 posted 2001-12-19 01:07 PM

I am not too familiar with haiku but I will say this streen, I did enjoy reading it very much , strbbux
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Haiku 1- Bells Outward Ring

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary