navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ideas Lost
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ideas Lost Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO

0 posted 2001-05-23 06:16 PM

Ideas Lost
by Kirk T Walker  

Undoubtedly,
countless
genius ideas
have been lost to the ages,
to wandering minds,
for lack of pencil, paper, literacy,
or as is often times my case,
penmanship:
my legitimate ideas
are lost to illegible scribbles.

© Copyright 2001 Kirk T Walker - All Rights Reserved
anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

1 posted 2001-05-24 02:45 AM

very true its sad to see it...this was a great poem...i enjoyed this read a lot...keep writing kirk...as hope to see more... ...?

if i die before i wake , i pray the lord my soul will take-"when thugs cry"

[This message has been edited by anonymous albert ? (edited 05-24-2001).]

Kurt Rhys
since 2001-05-08
Posts 23

2 posted 2001-05-24 03:00 AM

Ah, but you see what losses have inspired in you.....lose more and stay productive!
RLS106
since 2001-03-31
Posts 7
TX, U.S. A.
3 posted 2001-05-24 12:04 PM

I have felt the same many times myself, and
know and important building block was lost
with the flight of thier guile. I never
thought that art in any form had to suffer
to grow; thats for the dysfuctionail.

(c) RLS 1975-2001,ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2001-05-24 03:59 PM

I often wonder about the words unwritten the ones we hack mercilessly from a verse to make it flow better, do they not have their place also. For every poem written there are ten unwritten. Glad that you were able to capture this one.  

"across the unfair divide
where black will never meet white
so read my token lips
as though they never exist"

nicky wire

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
5 posted 2001-05-24 09:14 PM

I like this Kirk - gently witty!
Only two small suggestions - maybe "BY wandering minds", if that doesn't alter your intended meaning - and maybe lose the "are" in the last line ie.
my legitimate ideas
lost to illegible scribbles.

It just seems sharper.
The SOUND of 'legitimate' is right, but not sure about the meaning - is there a stronger word you could use?
But these are quibbles - it's neat!

Greg_s
since 2000-11-23
Posts 36
Los Angeles, CA
6 posted 2001-05-25 03:50 AM

Kirk-  Though this poem is much like others I have seen you post, I don't think it is quite as sharp as some of your others.  You have a good sense of what it means to have brevity, and I think you usually use that technique to your advantage.  However, this time, I think that the feel and look of the poem is a little bit lacking.

Foremost, I think my problems with this one begin with your line breaks.  Because they are how they are, the rythm seems choppy and hasty.  I would suggest condensing the first two or three lines into a single first line, and so on for the rest of the poem.  I also question your use of "literacy."  It just doesn't seem to fit with your later use of pen, paper and illegible scribbles.  

Lastly, your ending seems predictable.  It does not seem like the release of sustained emotion that I, as a reader, usually look for in a poem.  Because of this, the more I read your poem, the less I feel that it leaves somethig with me.

I usually enjoy your poems and enjoy your brevity, however, in my opinion, this one falls a bit short of your other, more interesting and challenging poems.  I think this is due in part to the choice of subject matter, and in part to the organization of the words.  I'm not sure how much effort you want to spend on revising this poem.

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
7 posted 2001-05-25 02:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments!  Some very in depth and helpful critiques.  I truly appreciate it.  

Joricho: Good suggestions.  The word legitimate is meant to (whether it does or not) echo of its opposite "illegitimate" hence calling to mind the notion of b*st*rd thoughts that never get fully recoginized.

Greg_s: Yes, I agree that this one is perhaps less poetic and more idea-driven than some of my others.  The line breaks may be more to disguise the prose-like nature of this work--nevertheless, they do indicate slight pauses which were intentional if not effective. I could have said pencil, pen or the ability to use them, but I thought literacy was more concise.  I appreciate your thoughtful response and agree that ultimately this poem would take much effort to make especially great, I just hope it displays the more or less simple idea effectively.  

Greg_s
since 2000-11-23
Posts 36
Los Angeles, CA
8 posted 2001-05-25 05:53 PM

Kirk-  As the others have posted in threads above this one, you have conveyed the idea well.  I just wanted to give a critique with some of your past poems in mind, (which I happen to like better).  You do, however, posit your idea well, and I think you do the short poem quite well.  Looking forward to your next one.

Greg

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2001-05-25 07:25 PM

Added on to the other suggestions above...I want to look at your use of punctuation. I don't think you need it. Should you retain your current line breaks - or even alter them - they are sufficient within themselves without burdening the poem with punct.

I like the idea of the ending, however I wonder if you haven't overstated it?

Overall, I like this poem Kirk...

K

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
10 posted 2001-05-25 09:25 PM

Just to come back on what others have said, it seemed to me that this was a fairly light poem. I assumed it was not an overly serious lament for lost ideas, but more a wry reflection on the many that pass us by. So "genius" is half tongue-in-cheek. Am I right? Because I think it holds up at that level, but not as a serious comment on genius. I thought Greg's comments were really excellent, and I do think you've written more incisive poems, but perhaps that has put a weight of expectation on this that is unhelpful. As a reflective little sigh it works.
Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
11 posted 2001-05-27 08:21 PM

Greg: Thanks for the follow-up response.

SEvern: I disagree with your suggestion that punctuation "burdens" a poem.  I think it comes down to stylistic differences, although I will admit that if the punctuation is inaccurate or too complex it can be distracting.  However, lack of punctuation can also be as distracting if the reader has to spend extra time deciding what is meant.  I try to do poems without punctuation when it is appropriate and just to play with different styles, but usually I include punctuation as a stylistic default.  There does seem to be a lot of punctuation in this poem though.  I will consider you comments, thank you very much for the suggestion.

Joricho: yes, light.  Genius-ideas was meant tongue-in-cheek.  Not that the ideas were actually genius, but that they were valid, useable, etc.  For instance, when you are driving home and you think of a great idea for a poem, but then realize there is no paper or pencil in the car--no big deal you'll write it down when you get home.  Except then you can't remember.  Or if you do scribble it down while battling traffic you can't even decipher what it says by the time you find it lying in the floorboard among the taco bell cups a month later.  et cetera.  Thanks for your comments.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
12 posted 2001-05-28 06:57 PM

I like this- I agree w/ Joricho's phrasing suggestions, and I think you should combine the first three lines, while keeping the punctuation intact. Other than that, nice- light, sarcastic, witty, and even wistful- the wording makes the last two lines flow quickly, creating the sense of a quick punchline.

If I had a soul I sold it
           for pretty words

-Allen Ginsberg

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
13 posted 2001-05-29 01:24 AM

Kirk,

i have nothing constructive to say

i just wanted to add this into my library

Good thoughts!!

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
14 posted 2001-05-30 12:13 PM

Thanks for the comments.
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

15 posted 2001-06-02 11:53 AM

Kirk,

You spelled this out so nicely...
It's happened to me dozens of times. Great ideas...no paper...no pen. Lost to memory. I'm sure it happens to everyone. Can you imagine all the wonderful stuff floating around, waiting to be written down? Loved this!

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
16 posted 2001-06-03 04:56 PM

Warmhrt: I'm glad you liked it, thanks for the comments.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
17 posted 2001-06-04 04:38 PM

While this reminds me of a poem, I've been planning to write for a while (and haven't but not for lack of paper and pencil, just sheer laziness) and while I won't deny that my first reading did involve a certain involvement (you build it up well), it's just too general for my taste. Write about a specific idea.

Just an opinion,
Brad

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
18 posted 2001-06-05 01:18 PM

Thanks for the comments, Brad.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ideas Lost

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary