navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Normal
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Normal Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
PortuguesePoet
since 2001-04-24
Posts 34

0 posted 2001-04-27 06:57 PM

I’m normal
Or so it seems when in the world today
Normal is as normal does,
A percentage of the whole.

A scary word
Used to frighten little babes,
Normal,
The absolute dregs of humanity.

For everyone tends to forget
That genius just isn’t normal.
To shine, to aspire, to be different,
That just isn’t normal.

And so when asked
Are you normal?
I tend to answer with a smile.
No I’m stark, raving MAD.

© Copyright 2001 PortuguesePoet - All Rights Reserved
Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
1 posted 2001-04-28 11:55 AM

Maw-ma all-ways sayez, "Normal is as normal does"  This is what I thought which made me reference normal to stupid, which is what Forest Gump actually says his mamma says.  If that reference is not intended I would lose the lines.  I really like the lines "a scary word/used to frighten little babies" except that maybe "little" is not needed.  (Babies are generally little--you would only need to specify if they were especially little or if it was a BIG baby.)  You need a comma after No on last line, I think.  

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is just my opinion.

PortuguesePoet
since 2001-04-24
Posts 34

2 posted 2001-04-28 04:11 PM

Point taken....Thanks, it's always good to get some real critism for thats the only way we develope. yeah the no needs a comma, not very good with those.....LOL....
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
3 posted 2001-05-06 09:49 PM

Well, I doubt if you are normal to come in here, I think you are brave to post in this forum.  Anyway, personally I would keep little babes or otherwise I for one might think you are talking about females, as you wrote it I understand right away you are referring to infants.  Your poem has an interesting subject and is one that is thought provoking and that is above ordinary.
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

4 posted 2001-05-08 01:10 AM

Normal,
The absolute dregs of society.

I like that line -- though I think you might could find a better word than absolute to use there.  And I like the poem from that line on down.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Normal

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary