navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Untitled
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Xeonox
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-04-01
Posts 1764
CA, USA

0 posted 2001-04-25 12:56 PM

Darkness brings with it-
Hope of light,

So does death,
Brings with it,
A chance at life.

Ronil (One becomes god only when they have fully understood the role of being a human being.)

© Copyright 2001 Ronil B Tataria - All Rights Reserved
Tony Di Bart
since 2000-01-26
Posts 160
Toronto, Canada
1 posted 2001-04-25 08:23 AM

Xeonox

I like this one beeter than the other 4 line poems that you have posted recently.  I like the interplay of dark/light paralleled with the death and life imagery.  I am a personal fan of poems that take situations flip them and present them in an exactly opposite manner as is normally thought of.  

Thanks once again for posting.

See Ya

furlong
since 2001-04-08
Posts 129

2 posted 2001-04-25 12:05 PM

"Darkness brings with it-
Hope of light,"

>>> Why?

"So does death,
Brings with it,
A chance at life."

>>> Why?  Is this a life after death thing?

>>> Typo on "Bring(s)"

>>> light/darkness - life/death - good/bad.  All themes that have been covered so many many times that they are perhaps best avoided.  Certainly by using them in such an uncompromising and un-complex (!)  way you are virtually guaranteed an unoriginal and uninteresting poem.  

Lots of "un's" there, sorry about that  .

>>> just my opinion of course.

F

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
3 posted 2001-04-25 12:43 PM

furlong: I think darkness brings hope for light because it presents a contrast--without good their can not be evil.  I think maybe that the last part has two meanings: 1)the knowledge of death can bring an appreciation of life and help us to make the most of it 2)death for some represents the hope of ressurrection to heaven, reincarnation, etc.

Xeonox: From four to five, what's next?  Six line poems maybe! haha (of course, I think this one would work as a four line instead of five, too) It wasn't as abstract as your four-liners, and I thought the message came across a lot clearer.   Nice job.

Disclaimer: The preceding statement is just my opinion.

furlong
since 2001-04-08
Posts 129

4 posted 2001-04-25 01:16 PM

Kirk

Uh oh!  Am I right I thinking there's a philosophy forum hereabouts, maybe we should head off there!  

"darkness brings hope for light because it presents a contrast--without good their can not be evil"

Ok fine, but at best this is an unsupported statement or speculation, at worst it's both of those things and also a hypothesis thats been advance a million times before in literature, religion, politics etc etc. - is that good?

The second stanza is only tenuously linked to the first and is far to "broad" in potential application for my taste (vague) - contrast it with your On your Backs poem (apologies can't remember the title) where the possibilities were much more restricted and manageable.  Worse though is the fact that neither interpretation you offer has anything remotely new to say to us.

Sorry, I'm still not convinced   .

F

[This message has been edited by furlong (edited 04-25-2001).]

~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
5 posted 2001-04-25 02:36 PM

indeed, the dark/light life/death good/bad
contrast has been written about very much.
that just goes to show you how much people recognize the balance (or unbalance) of positivity and negativity in their life, or in the world, etc. this counter-relevance shall always exist, as do the mighty oaks and raging rivers, or majestic mountains that we read about. therefore, regardless of our personal opinions, this poetry can never be worn out or old.
       i myself am seemingly a character of counter-morality. finding at times my mood or personality may vary to and from extremes. apparently, this is felt in many people as they try to relay their heart feelings to us. this poetry is not obsolete,
but is alive. it is reality in one of it's simplest forms.

dancing freely with the stars,
looking down upon streets and cars
from my world ,
a wonderful view.
i looked here,
and now found you!

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
6 posted 2001-04-25 02:51 PM

i like the way this poem is written, and i can totally agree with your statements.  someone once told me that suicide rates drop drastically during war times, because things are so bad, they want to cling to life so badly.  the only complaint i have is, where is YOUR input?  this is one of those generally held philosophies, with no real personal side.  i think it could use that.  otherwise, it's great.

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

7 posted 2001-04-25 06:12 PM

tell u the truth i'm not good in criques so i'll jus tell u bout the poem.....

it was short but sweet..
great job on the poem..
keep writing

...?

death is not the greatest loss in life. the greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. -norman cousins

Xeonox
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-04-01
Posts 1764
CA, USA
8 posted 2001-04-25 06:41 PM

Thank you for your comments.    

Ronil (One becomes god only when they have fully understood the role of being a human being.)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Untitled

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary