navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The War Of Peace
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The War Of Peace Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

0 posted 2001-02-22 01:01 AM

President General George Washington
handled the birth of a nation like a true soldier.
Marched shoulder to shoulder with his troops
through war – then peace. A good president
general knows the best action is often reaction.
Steady procession through battle, politics,
and polemics inevitably overtakes the fleetest foe.
Humility hones best the plow blade
that cuts a country’s fresh fertile soil.

© Copyright 2001 Marq - All Rights Reserved
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
1 posted 2001-02-22 03:17 AM

Hi Marq;

I really liked the idea you presented here, though I couldn't decide whether or not it held a hint of sarcasm or if that was simply my own cynicism at the helm. Either way, the concept was original and the images well chosen for their purposes.

My only complaint is that this piece seemed unfinished; in my opinion, you could have done a good deal more with this theme, using what you have here as a first stanza. I thought that the plow reference would make an especially good lead-in for the next stanza in which you might focus more on that particular image.

Just my take.

Linda

Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

2 posted 2001-02-24 12:51 PM

Thank you for your input, Linda. No sarcasm intended for this poem. I regard Washington's presidency as an example of the right way of doing things. I'm glad you wanted me to continue this theme but I feel like I presented my message completely in this short poem. All the best to you.
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
3 posted 2001-03-07 01:42 AM

Marq,

The word choice, style, and "regal" feel of this nostalgic poem is very fitting for it's subject matter. It has a solid (not flambouyant) honor coupled with patriotism which is much like the traditional view of Washington himself. Very good job here. The last line was perfect in my opinion (and very memorable). What better imagry than a plow for the new "uncultivated" nation in the new world?

Stephen.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2001-03-07 06:28 PM

Sorry Marq but you're wrong that you've presented your idea here (unless hagiography is what you intended). Washington was not a perfect man and I would have liked to see a little more of the warts (these warts make great people all the greater because they have them).

Curious why more historical poems aren't written?

Is it still the dominance of the lyric, the idea of what a poem is supposed to be?

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The War Of Peace

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary