navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Why???
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why??? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2001-01-07 11:39 AM

The need to write is oft misunderstood
By those who do not dare pick up the pen,
They seem to think that speech is just as good
For the conveyance of emotion; when
We feel that written word will do it best.
They cannot comprehend the process of
Just putting pen to paper, how it tests
The skill of self-expression, and the love
Of tapping into feelings that may hide
From spoken word, though rarely from the pen.
These words onto the paper often glide
Without a stutter, pause, or haw and hem.
At times, of course, for our muse we must wait,
But saying this would be cause for debate.

Kris
< !signature-->

All change in history, all advance, comes from the nonconformist. If there had been no troublemakers, no dissenters, we would still be living in caves

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 01-09-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
Pearls_Of_Wisdom
since 2000-09-02
Posts 175

1 posted 2001-01-08 09:12 PM

I agree! Interesting that you chose a traditional Shakespearean sonnet form for a poem about poetry. I've only written one sonnet at it was such a royal pain in the arse that I haven't written one since (that one was adding an extra soliloquy into Romeo and Juliet for school). I commend you for the difficult format. Why did you chose that one specifically? I may be prejudiced since I try not to write with a specific structure in mind, but I might have opted for free verse in a poem about poetry. But don't change it on my account, please! The only part I sort of stumbled over was the second line. Is there a different way to put it that seems less awkward but is still 10 syllables? Just a thought. Okay, how about: "By those of us who ne'er pick up the pen" or "By those who nary do pick up the pen"? I'm not crazy about those either. =)

Anyway, I still liked it. I'll look forward to reading more of your work. How long have you been writing and have you ever been published?

Ashley

[This message has been edited by Pearls_Of_Wisdom (edited 01-08-2001).]

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2001-01-09 07:03 AM

Ashley,

Thank you very much for reading, and for your interesting comments and questions.

I feel that the contemporary sonnet can be about absolutely anything...why restrict it to only certain subjects, such as love found, love lost etc.? I usually write free verse, and find writing a sonnet now and then refreshing, and, actually, much easier to write than free verse, as the structure provides a framework for the words.

I did agree on the second line, and ammended it...thanks.

Alas, I have never submitted poetry, but have had a prose piece published. I do have a site where I self-publish my poetry...find it by clicking on the little house icon above.

Thank you again for your interest,

Kris< !signature-->

All change in history, all advance, comes from the nonconformist. If there had been no troublemakers, no dissenters, we would still be living in caves

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 01-09-2001).]

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2001-01-09 10:16 AM

Hi Kris,

It's good to see you writing sonnets again. You chose a tough subject and handled it pretty well. I know because some time ago I tried a similar thing. Well, as I said, you treated the subject matter quite well. Your words rang of truth but still sounded pleasant to read. The meter seemed to weaken a bit here and there, but you already knew that. IMHO, those minor discrepancies don't really detract from the sonnet written in the modern style. So, well done. I eagerly await your next effort.

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2001-01-10 06:27 AM

Thanks Pete,

When I get a thumbs up from you on a sonnet, I'm very pleased, cuz I know that you know your stuff. I would just like to be able to write beautiful romantic sonnets the way you do, always with such perfect meter and lovely wording. Maybe someday.

Thanks again,
Kris

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Why???

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary