navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » testing the waters
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic testing the waters Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

0 posted 2001-01-02 05:30 PM

Vanity your silence,
the evening in your eyes
so familiar;
You wore black gloves then.

© Copyright 2001 mark woolard - All Rights Reserved
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
1 posted 2001-01-02 06:38 PM

Mark,
  This is very vivid and I like the format, however I think a change in punctuation may help convey the idea. Just my humble opinion.
                          J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

YeshuJah Malikk
since 2000-06-29
Posts 263

2 posted 2001-01-02 09:12 PM

I liked this, liked that it has infinite possibilities.  Will look for more.
Ryan
since 1999-06-10
Posts 297
Kansas
3 posted 2001-01-03 01:47 AM

I'm not quite sure how to approach this one.  I like it as is.  The images work very well for me.  I think the first line is the weakest simply because it is the weakest in the imagery department.  What I would reccommend doing is fleshing this out.  Leave what you have, but add more.  Like YeshuJah said, there are infinite possibilities in this poem.  I think you should take one of those and run.

Of course, you may not want to also.  I like this very much right now, but I just have the feeling that there could be so much more to it.  Thanks for posting.

Ryan

"ah, little girls make shadows on the sidewalk shorter than the shadow of death in this town--" - Jack Kerouac

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

4 posted 2001-01-04 12:24 PM

Hmmm.  The first line doesn't work for me.  It's like a hurdle I've tripped over, in the fog.  Otherwise, the picture is vivid and alluring.
I'm new here, so not yet familiar with the typical submission but glad to see a short poem.  I'm drawn to the compact imagery of the short poem, perhaps because it's the only form my pea sized brain can manage to compose.  Hope you have more to share.

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
5 posted 2001-01-04 05:57 PM

I have to agree with everyone else -- I really liked the compactness of this piece.  It lent power and resonance to an image that might otherwise get lost in the shuffle in a longer poem.

I liked the first line by itself; it was an intriguing description of pride (or reticence, as you will), which rang true enough to be interesting.  The only problem is that it was just vague anough to require further development, which the abbreviated form you used did not allow for.  If you don't wish to change the idea, you may want to add a few words to the image to make it more revealing, thus tying it into the matter-of-factness of the rest of the piece.

This has loads of potential -- almost too much for three lines to handle.  I'll be looking for more from you!  

--Linda

Remember: maintaining a positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will certainly annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2001-01-06 08:13 PM

This is a very tantalizing piece but I wonder if you might play with it just a bit more:

Vanity, your silence,
the evening in your eyes;

I wore white.

Kind of allows a moment of fusion (and difference) with the speaker and the character. Wonder if you might consider that.

Just an opinion,
Brad

Pearls_Of_Wisdom
since 2000-09-02
Posts 175

7 posted 2001-01-11 01:34 PM

Mark,

I found this intriguing and full of emotion, but I too had trouble discerning what emotion in particular you were conveying. For instance, I really liked the line, "The evening in your eyes", but I wasn't sure if the speaker is looking back on this memory with fondness or bitterness. Maybe you intended it to be both?

The interpretation that I came up with was kind of basic, but here goes. The speaker is looking back on a time when he was with this girl he was dating, who he thought he knew and was close to, but after that evening, they broke up and he found out she's not who he thought she was. Am I close at all? We seem to be on different pages in terms of interpretations and reactions.

[This message has been edited by Pearls_Of_Wisdom (edited 01-11-2001).]

mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

8 posted 2001-01-11 01:50 PM

(wow. . .i've never had to answer questions like this. . .FUN!)

Since posting this, I have worked it out to read like this:

Vanity your silence,
the evening in your eyes
so familiar;

The emotion, I guess, is simply memory.  The memory of a stranger I desired to capture, emphasizing what affected my most at our passing.

Thanks, everyone for the comments!  It pays to ask for directions.

Raj_Yura
since 2001-01-08
Posts 13

9 posted 2001-01-12 07:44 PM

mark-

i like the ending that is antithesis to
the idea and rhytm in above lines. I don't
know whether the stranger who inspired u
to write it actually wore gloves that black
too. what i feel colour should be used
sapringly unless it is univerally accepted
in all cultures to bear the same meaning or
u r describing the apperance of a person
wearing a certain colur but then one should
convey how the apperance is affected by
the colour
for me an ending like

you wore gloves then

is more appropriate if u want to convey
the apperance of the stranger in contrast
to emotion in above lines

there is a poem by pound on similar lines
i will let u know later about it

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

10 posted 2001-01-13 12:00 PM

Mark,

Sorry I am so late in getting here...but I do have the advantage in that you have explained your intent.

I did especially like the amount of thought provacation and images contained in so few lines. Well done.

I do, however agree with a couple of other points...a comma after "Vanity", and leaving out the word "black" in the last line. That adds much to the rhythm of the piece, and allows for a wider image more suited to the "stranger".

All in all, I thought this was fascinating...nice job.

Kris

All change in history, all advance, comes from the nonconformist ` A.J.P. Taylor

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » testing the waters

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary