navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Winter
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Winter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2000-12-12 12:24 PM

fuzzy-headed
sleep lingers
as he sits
window gazing

winter birds gather
round neighbor's
metal chimney
seeking warmth

long and thick
striated icicles
hang in rows
from gutters

roofs hidden
beneath white waves
drifted deeply
bitter gusts blowing spray

he sips
steaming coffee
warm
in flannel robe
sherpa slippers

winter's here
he thinks aloud
then shivers
at the thought

Kris

All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings...~William Wordsworth

© Copyright 2000 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2000-12-12 01:40 PM

Kris,

Again you have vividly painted a portrait. But it's not one I am too fond of right now. It's comes way too close to describing me as I see it. They say this is the coldest it has been in Oklahoma in the last 3 years or so but so far we don't have any ice or snow yet. Sure makes it hard to go outside though.

Oh well, I guess I should stop complaining as I see on the tv what is happening in Chicago and other places north.

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2000-12-12 04:11 PM

Pete,

Thanks for the comments...I wrote this just this morning...the winter scene was right there in front of me. Yuccckkkk! It's cold enough to freeze anyone's chimichongas.  
Calgon...take me away...(to anywhere warm, that is).

Kris

All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings...~William Wordsworth

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
3 posted 2000-12-13 07:08 PM

hi,
like Pete,i too think you have painted a vivid portrait....i liked the minimalist approach here...direct and concise
this reader's eyebrows lifted when he read the last verse...he is feeling sorry for the man for he feels that he is suffering from an acute loneliness..kind of like seeing a winter scene with no one else to share...

though i realise, your poem is rather open-ended and that my interpretation may be just one among others....

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Winter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary