navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Healing
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Healing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2000-11-11 02:55 PM

having prepared this space
to accompany his malady,
he curls, an abraded animal,
nursing gashes still raw,
tender to the slightest utterances.

he lies dark against bleached muslin,
slats closed flat against filmed panes,
no talons of sunlight reach here,
shadows' greyness blends drab and faded
onto sluggish hollow walls.

this space is where despair can echo,
till it loses all hint of sadness,
where pain can be nurtured into oblivion,
healing work goes on within the darkness,
allows shadows to quietly gain dimension.

sneaks out while light breaks through,
darkened corners disappear,
as he stretches from the fetal,
rising from the blood-soaked cotton
to reach with fingers yet weak, trembling,

he allows new life to enter, cleansing,
awash, from windows flung wide open.

mia

[This message has been edited by miapoetess (edited 11-12-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2000-11-13 11:28 AM

Well Mia, you've stumped me this time. You bring up too many mental images for me to see where you're really going here. So, I have some ideas but think I'll wait for someone else, braver or wiser, to break the ice before trying to comment usefully.

Pete

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

2 posted 2000-11-13 11:37 AM

Thank you, Pete, for reading and for explaining your initial feelings on this. I probably did it again, and did not consider the reader enough. I, like you, will wait to see if anyone will offer their perceptions before stating my intentions. Thanks again,
mia

P.S. I think you are very brave and wise...no one else even made an attempt. You were the first.< !signature-->

...got to be somewhere better than in the middle...~Wallflowers

[This message has been edited by miapoetess (edited 11-13-2000).]

dragonpoe
since 2000-11-12
Posts 608
Palm Bay, Florida
3 posted 2000-11-13 11:50 AM

I found this to be a piece about healing, mentally and physically, kind of like a soldier wounded in battle and you there, unable to help him except for medicinal and comforting purposes, because the real healing has to happen from inside the self.
In quality, I see nothing amiss. It is simple, not overdrawn, saying what it needs to say to give a picture, this one gave me a painted picture, clear and moving.
I like it.

sexyILN
since 2000-11-20
Posts 29

4 posted 2000-11-21 11:22 PM

Mia,
don't say that you didn't consider the reader. You shouldn't anyway. You write for yourself first, and everyone else second. Anyway, I loved the poem. I can't think of what you might be talking about either, but I too have ideas. I don't think you're going to get many comments on this piece if wusses like us keep commenting instead of someone who speaks their mind. oh well

...peace as a primary goal, is dangerous because it implies that you will sacrifice any principle for the sake of it....
Robert Kaplan

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

5 posted 2000-11-21 11:46 PM

SexyILN,

Thank you for replying, and you are not a "wuss". it is I who was remiss in being too obscure.

Perhaps if I explain a bit...this is about depression. Often people with this illness secure themselves within a sanctuary where they imagine they'll be safe, and they shut out the outside world...the blinds, drapes etc. Some stay in bed, leaving it to only use facilities and perhaps eat something...then it's back to their sanctuary. People in this state are in intense pain, and as it starts to lessen, they let a little bit more of the world in. Finally, when it has ended, they greet the world once again (new life to enter, cleansing, awash....)

I imagined an injured animal, and how they hide away till they are healed, and tried to combine it with what I stated above. I don't think I was very successful, as no one grasped this, and I feel that I should have put it in clearer terms.
mia

...got to be somewhere better than in the middle...~Wallflowers

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Healing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary