navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » little girl in boulder
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic little girl in boulder Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
glorybox
since 2000-09-17
Posts 26

0 posted 2000-09-17 12:37 PM

little girl so pretty
nobody knows how
little girl screaming
to the silence of the night
hey there, little girl
where did you go?
it cannot be so bad
to be remembered so
little pretty face
and pretty little hands
to fight off what evil came
and cover your pretty eyes
hey there, little girl
where are you going?
where have you been?
isn't it just fine?
little scars and little cuts
little girl bruises too
scream the pain and scream the rage
wipe your pretty eyes

are you trying to cry?
are you scared?
do you know what's coming?
do you know who it is?

daddy daddy daddy
is mommy here, too?
daddy daddy daddy
i'm too little for you

© Copyright 2000 Amy Robinson - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2000-09-17 06:20 PM

Welcome to CA.

It seems however that you've put yourself in a conundrum here. The piece is far too vague but if you moved it in a more descriptive manner, you might make it too graphic and therefore inappropriate for this site. What do you do?

To be honest, I'm not sure. As it is, I think you might consider a less intense moment than the one presented, you might consider only hinting at the reality and show how such acts influence the manner in which the girl acts even when not directly presented with the nightmare above.

Just an idea,
Brad

glorybox
since 2000-09-17
Posts 26

2 posted 2000-09-18 12:32 PM

This piece is one of my spoken pieces, one I have performed a bit for an audience. I have been developing it into somewhat of a folky song.  I had thoughts of JonBenet Ramsey at the time, she was all over the papers and the television, and I could not get her out of my mind.  This was for her, I presume intentionally, and I am proud of it because it seemed effortless.  Thank you for your critique, as I hope to post more and get a realistic response when I need one.  I enjoy this site more than any other I have visited, and say THANK YOU.

glorybox

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
3 posted 2000-09-18 09:01 AM

Hi Glorybox,
I can't pretend to be an expert but I did recognize this form as a type of slam poetry!
The message is very intense and thought-provoking!

I agree with Brad though, it's a little bit vague, although I was eager to understand more about the little girl's feelings.

I have been told many times in the past by experienced writers to try and use the expression "Show don't tell" when creating poetry.
Strong images and details can be very effective, and send a powerful message to the reader!

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2000-09-18 12:55 PM

gb:

I can see how this would work as a folk song (the added layer of music and/or dramatics could flesh out some of areas where the words seem to fall a little short).  JonBenet Ramsey was brought to my mind by your title and this recollection helped me deal with the vagueness of the first stanza.  

However, the same recollection of the Ramsey murder underscored the sketchiness (in my mind) of the circumstances surrounding JonBenet's murder.  This caused the last stanza to fail for me.  In my opinion, the questions raised in the poem should, like the Denver case, remain open.  I think this would give the poem more punch than the daddy lines.  The mystery, in my opinion, is one of the elements that makes this particular story so sad.

Just an opinion.

Jim

glorybox
since 2000-09-17
Posts 26

5 posted 2000-09-18 01:03 PM

Thank you to all of you for your comments.
A work in progress, and I know it is in here somewhere to make it a better piece.  I did stray away from the visual depictions and descriptiveness, I presume because the piece is a very intense subject that even I don't think I could grasp to imagine.  Again, though, thank you, and I will give it a go.  

glorybox

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » little girl in boulder

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary