navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Picture frame
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Picture frame Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA

0 posted 2000-09-03 04:37 PM

Just a poem, not very good one either, but thats why it is here, to get help.  If you have any suggestions on how to improve whats there or what to add, Id be gratefull.

All the emptiness and void
All the sorrow and despair
Contained in that picture frame
In that four by four metal square

I know that she’ll return some day
And life will be merry once again
That black hole picture frame
Won’t be hurting me no more

Life will be that backdrop garden
With her the crowning glory
The prettiest blooming flower
A blossom befitting of a story

The clouds will lift from the blue
The sky will rain its tears no more
The sparkling starlight eyes
Will be mine to adore

Joined we will be
In that special place
If only for a while
A sliver of time and space

Clouds loom on the horizon
And I know we have to go
Each our separate way
Wishing it was not so

With a final embrace
We turn in pain
The blue has turned to cloud
And the sky begins to rain

That frame upon my desk
Brings its sorrows down again
My emptiness and my void
Behind that small glass pane

© Copyright 2000 Keith W. Mullin - All Rights Reserved
Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

1 posted 2000-09-03 08:38 PM

Hi Der Keit, just read the poem and can say this has all been done before, I could just about pull out every line and say it lacks originality. So it's difficult to say what you could do but I advise you to look at one of Brad's poems listed here titled I think 'framed'. Though not his best poem it shows how such a topic can be written in a rather original style.

Your poem just gives me the simple image of some loser sitting in front of a picture, we've all done that- so what!
Take care & good luck

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
2 posted 2000-09-03 08:43 PM

thanks for the "advice" J/A.  I always enjoy being called a looser.  There is more too it than just what the lines say word for word, so maybe if you actualy read it, you could give me some USEFULL criticizm
Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

3 posted 2000-09-03 09:35 PM

Der Keit, I didn't imply you were a loser, ok! If you interpreted it that way, sorry.

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
4 posted 2000-09-03 11:13 PM

Your appology is accepted, and I appologize for snaping at you.  In the future it would be a good idea to watch what words you throw, intentionally or not, at an emotionaly topiced poem, such as this one.  The person might take some of them personaly.  If you could possibly offer some advice as to how to make it more orriginal I would appreciate it, I looked and couldnt find Brads poem.
Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

5 posted 2000-09-04 12:52 PM

Der Keit,

I'll do my best to offer my insight. Before I begin, let me affirm what a low place the images here remind me of. I think we've all been there looking at that picture frame.

First-I think you missed your intent of true rhyme in the second stanza where:
again/more don't rhyme at all but all the other stanzas have true rhyme.
This can be easily remedied. We've all done that before.

Other than that, there's nothing really wrong with the way it's written except what was already said by Seoulman, that it lacks originality. Here's an idea that might work for you: in the last line you use the metaphor of a "small glass pane" to symbolize the picture frame. I think you could develop something from this where you begin the poem as if you're looking out a window and thinking about the images in your mind of this person and what you feel for them. Then you could turn the end into a surprise by enlightening the reader to show that the window was actually just a picture frame. I think that would be pretty creative and give you some originality.

Hope this helps

Janie

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Picture frame

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary