navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The soapstone
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The soapstone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA

0 posted 2000-09-01 09:12 PM

The Soapstone

The space is slung low,
barely enough room
to stoop beneathe,
weathered poles
that underpin,
and hold the rough built
home aloft.

Underneath we dig
our basement.
Shoveling rock and
hardpan clay.
Arms streaked sweat
and terra-cotta,
seepage mud between
our toes.

At night I dream
of empty cellars,
black and blighted
potato fields.
Watered down soup and
starving families,
hungry children
scratching the dirt.

And I wake to see
my father brushing,
something away from
an unearthed stone.
Sun-starved weeds
under our basement,
straggling over the tops
of his feet.

He puts the soapstone
in my pocket,
explaining the properties
contained within.
Across the hill,
an uprooted oak tree,
rain drops prickling
dead brown leaves.

And sometime years,
he finds the soapstone,
neatly labled and displayed.
In my room,
in the basement,
by a blue jay feather.
And a turtle shell bleached
white by the sun.

And he holds it up
like something fragile,
like a tadpole cupped
in his hands.
And his eyes are far flung,
like crows out the window.
Swishing their wings
towards the sun.

And there's something
of wonder and joy
in his eyes.
Something soulful
and sad.
Something of memories
of coal miners buried,
children scratching
the dirt.

forrest 2000

[This message has been edited by Forrest Cain (edited 09-02-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 O. Forrest Cain - All Rights Reserved
Janie
since 2000-08-13
Posts 158

1 posted 2000-09-02 01:03 AM

I liked it. Only 2 things. The first is that it seems like the meter could be tightened up a bit in a few places. (I like the flow of the 2nd stanza the best)

The second, I think you mean "there's" as in "there is" as opposed to "their's", plural possessive pronoun.  

Janie

JnR4eva
since 2000-08-07
Posts 377
Bronx, NY
2 posted 2000-09-02 02:51 AM

Hi there Forrest Cain...by no means would I consider myself a critique per se....but someone who lends some advice after reading a draft...yes  

I think this poem was nicely done...you have so many images going for you ... but I am at a loss....It's just ME ....I'm lost and I do not speak for everybody else..and I hope u are able to help me though.....(remember this is what I think and I may be totally wrong about this whole poem)...

ok from what I can read...or what the mind has allowed me to decipher...is that we have a house where a father and son go to the cellar and dig up the earth and they are I guess that they are looking for something?...this soapstone perhaps? or they're just trying to clear out this basement?......

ok so then the father does find this soapstone...or perhaps he just finds it unintentionally..but he finds it in the front of the house..or rather the porch...but this is kind of making me question then why have the whole description of the cellar if he found it on his porch? it seems unnecessary to have the description of the cellar b/c this is where they primarily looked for it but then he finds it in front of the house which makes it seem like he found it by a fluke.  (hmm or perhaps u intended this? i reconsider now)

so then you say..."He puts the soapstone in my pocket, explaining the properties"  now i was thinking that a soapstone in general is just this stone that is made of a soft material like talc ... so what is it that makes it so special? i was wondering that perhaps u can expand on that a little b/c i am thinking plain soap stone.... but actually when i finished the poem,  i said oh perhaps its the memory of having that father-son experience that makes the soap stone special (that made sense)...but then that makes me call into question how special the moment can be if it were the father who found it on his own while his child was asleep? so it kind of ruins the father-son moment if only one is there to participate.  in short if it is special, I didn't see how so...or rather it wasn't mentioned.

ok that was what the "I don't understand this" portion of this critique...sorry if this is long but I like the poem and I would to understand it fully and also help at the same time  ....

He puts the soapstone
in my pocket,
explaining the properties
contained within.
{{Below our house,
an uprooted oak tree,
rain drops prickling
dead brown leaves.}}

this was going well until i hit this stanza b/c i was wondering why did u go from in front of ur porch, to the cellar? i feel that this last part of this stanza is not necessary...and loses the reader somewhat...and i was wondering if its under the house, how is the rain getting in to wet the brown leaves?...like what im imagining is that u intended for the reader to see brown leaves being hit by  rain..but how much rain can hit it if it's under the house?  but i still feel that going from the porch to cellar is confusing in itself.

ok i think im done, like i said i am no critique per se.  i enjoyed this poem a lot despite being a lil confused, i think u did a nice job of detailing the events and the images...they are original, i saw nothing cliched ....and i think this poem has a lot of potential...perhaps im reading the poem too literally and not symbolically? maybe that's my prob.?  let me know  
much respect  

"my love is my motivation
my love is my inspiration
perception of this poem
is your interpretation"
-- rlt

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
3 posted 2000-09-02 07:58 AM

Jn this is alittle abstact and your right on some accounts. In a nutshell living in a hilly region (W.V.)there is a shortage of space, so we were truly digging out the basement. My father is of Irish descent and his family came to Ellis Island during the great immigration from the potato famine
in the mid 1800's. The soapstone is a common stone with nothing really special except as you said my father gave it to me. While digging the basement I learned much of his history. The dangers of working in coalmines and the family members that died during cave-in's. And his stark poverty as an orphan. I agree that the 5th verse is a little confusing and will substitute "below the hill"
and in the 4th try "basement" instead of porch steps
though they were so close together it was almost the
same. I guess to make it a little clearer this was
about the look in my fathers eye, when he seen that
I treasured what he had given me. It was one of
sudden insight into how much I valued him and at
the same time sad that we had spent so little time together and that he had missed much of the magic
of both chidhoods his and mine. At least this is how it seemed to my 9 year old eyes. Thanks for the feedback.

forrest  

[This message has been edited by Forrest Cain (edited 09-02-2000).]

mysticharm
since 2000-06-08
Posts 189
Canada
4 posted 2000-09-02 04:21 PM

hi forrest  

...I enjoy your poems so much cuz your topics and themes amaze me every time

...I would have to rank this as one of your best, right next to etoile noir  

your friend always
debbie

debbie

Think of saying "I Love You" as always being overdue.
Love is a gift, not an obligation.
unknown

eldridgejackson
since 2000-04-30
Posts 91

5 posted 2000-09-05 09:30 PM

The soap stone. I remember the soap stone and your treasures. Not that they were worth much only that the emotion they represented made them valuable. I love the poem. I hated the basement.

Fellow dirt digger and mud slinger.

James

Novacaine For The Soul
since 2000-05-26
Posts 122
New Orleans
6 posted 2000-09-05 10:04 PM

forrest cain,
    i must admit that i enjoyed this poem immensely even if it didn't all fit together until i read your explaination... i particularly liked where you recount your father's reaction to finding the stone once again and the final stanza also struck a chord with me... very good work...

sincerely,
a sad tomato

So let us melt, and make no noise,
No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move.

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
7 posted 2000-09-07 12:23 PM

hi forrest!  sorry this took me so long...just when i thought i had my computer woes all banged out.... oh well.  onward.  

i am a big fan of the first 2 stanzas.     i dont really understand what the 3rd stanza has to do with the rest of the piece though.  4th is good again, the 5th too, actually.

now,

i would cut the part about the feather and the shell, it just seems a little extraneous to what you're trying to do.

actually, i thought i had more to add, but that's it.  ok, bye now  
luv Elyse

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
8 posted 2000-09-07 07:07 PM

Elyse thanks for the feedback. I knew this
one needed work when I posted it, but I
needed some objective feedback.
Always good to hear from you and hope
your work load at school doesn't deprive
us of your poetry.

forrest

E.J. and Novacaine thanks for your comments.

forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest Cain (edited 09-07-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2000-09-12 11:52 PM

I liked this as well but was hoping for a little more build up than what was given. It's a nice ending that ever so slightly doesn't seem to satisfy as it might.

Also, I'm trying an experiment. I'm not rewriting your poem, just editing certain lines:

I.
The space is slung low,
weathered poles
that underpin,
and hold the rough built
home aloft.

Shoveling rock and
hardpan clay
and terra-cotta between
our toes.

Of empty cellars,
black and blighted
potato fields.
Watered down soup and
starving families.

My father brushing,
something away.
He puts the soapstone
in my pocket.

II.

Neatly labled and displayed.
In my room,
in the basement,
by a blue jay feather.
And a turtle shell bleached
white by the sun.

He holds it up
like something fragile,
like a tadpole cupped
in his hands.

Something of memories
of coal miners buried,
children scratching
the dirt.

Just an experiment but what do you think?

Brad

Forrest Cain
since 2000-04-21
Posts 306
Chas.,W.V. USA
10 posted 2000-09-14 07:24 PM

Thanks for the time you spent reviewing
this. I liked the revision. It took up some of the slack and made it more poetic.

Thanks
forrest

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
11 posted 2000-09-14 09:44 PM

It's an interesting way to edit, I think. I like the edited version as well. It does sacrifice some of your original clarity but I think the images comes through much more clearly.

I guess it's a trade off.

Don't know if this'll work all the time but I'm glad you liked the results this time.

Brad

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The soapstone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary