navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Cry of a Woman in Pyongyang
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Cry of a Woman in Pyongyang Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2000-08-27 10:55 AM

What is to be done? What is to be done?
It's been fifty years since I've seen my son

And fifty since I've seen my husband.
What is to be done? What is to be done

For he was never again a husband
And I've been a wife to another one.

What is to be done? What is to be done?
It's been fifty years since I've seen my son.

© Copyright 2000 Brad - All Rights Reserved
ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

1 posted 2000-08-27 08:01 PM

Hi Brad,

I'm afraid I'm not familar with "Pyongyang".  Could you explain for me.  

Thanks,

-jaimie

[This message has been edited by ladysixstring (edited 08-27-2000).]

Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

2 posted 2000-08-27 08:50 PM

Jaimie

I may be wrong but I believe Pyongyang is the capitol of North Korea (DPRK), I understand that the name means ‘cozy place’ which it probably is having around 2 million inhabitants.  

Craig

Yes, I admit your general rule. That every poet is a fool:
But I myself may serve to show it. That every fool is not a poet.

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

3 posted 2000-08-27 09:50 PM

Thanks Craig, The reason for asking was to clear up the meaning of the poem.  It left me wondering Why? Why? Why?  If you know the meaning, please share.

Brad,
I'm afraid I still don't get it.  Does the title hold the meaning of the poem - or am I correct in thinking that there are too many unanswered questions?  

The style was a bit too much like a nursery rhyme.  However, the intriguing "hint" of a story I found fascinating.  But I need to know why?  What happened? Who left who?  Where is the husband now?  Where is the son?  Are they still alive?  What happens to the woman?

I was originally left wondering if those who are familiar with  Pyongyang  are at an unfair advantage, in that maybe they know some ancient fairy tale that reveals the mysterious meaning of the poem.  

If your intent was to leave the reader suspended in eternal curiosity... then I say Well Done!!! But please tell me the story... I promise I won't tell anyone!  

-jaimie

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2000-08-27 09:51 PM

Such a haunting cry!
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
5 posted 2000-08-27 11:15 PM

Like Seoulman's poem this has to do with the recent events in North and South Korea.  
For the first time in fifty years families are being allowed to reunite (they've only been allowed to communicate for something like a year)- yet, I heard the story of one woman who refused to meet her long lost husband for exactly the reasons mentioned above.

I had orignally planned a ballad meter (the model was "Ballad of Birmingham" by Dudley Randall) but I found myself doing a variation on a triolet instead. Such forms can be nursery rhymish but there very simplicity can  contain a haunting sadness - at least for me and Sunshine.  

Thanks to all who read this,
Brad

ladysixstring
since 2000-07-27
Posts 374

6 posted 2000-08-28 12:39 PM

Wow!! I knew there was something more to this story.  You will have to forgive me, I am not likely to pick up on references to recent events due to the fact that I haven't watch t.v. in about 5 years.

If I had recognized the story behind your poem right away... then I would have commented on how well you captured the emotions, confusion, the dilemma this woman is dealing with.  To move on only to learn you should have waited.  To lose someone you love and then to "choose" to lose them all over again.  Powerful story.  Yes, haunting.

I would, however, still like to read a poem on this topic where the story is reveled.  

All this aside, sometimes it helps to know where the reader's opinion is coming from... in this case, a reader who hasn't a clue what has been on the 6:00 news for the past 5 years.  I was not exactly your target audience and I sincerely retract my comments.  *S*  

Take care!

-jaimie

[This message has been edited by ladysixstring (edited 08-28-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
7 posted 2000-08-28 02:04 AM

Thanks for the comment but I see no reason to retract your comments.  This poem is a little tough to "get" without the background and I'm sure there will be others who won't get it because they have no interest in such things. I thought the hint was enough for those who were and hoped they would experience that feeling of recognizing an allusion and seeing how it all unfolds from that one point but I don't think there's anything wrong with not getting an allusion.

I always thought it was kind of silly to see poets or readers of poetry smirk at those who asked simple questions with, "You mean you don't know?"

If that were the trick in poetry it would be one hell of an easy game to play.

Am I the only one who thinks it has a tendency to resemble the Emperor's New Clothes theme? If nobody talks and nobody asks questions, how do we really know if anybody understands anything?

Some people argue that a person should do research before asking the question but isn't asking the question a form of research anyway?

By the way, both Matt (Seoulman) and myself were in tears when we watched these reunions on Korean TV.  There are more scheduled to come.

Thanks again for your kind words,
Brad

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 2000-08-29 04:29 PM

lol.. i WAS going to bed .. just saw this thread though..

quote:
I always thought it was kind of silly to see poets or readers of poetry smirk at those who asked simple questions with, "You mean you don't know?"

If that were the trick in poetry it would be one hell of an easy game to play.

Am I the only one who thinks it has a tendency to resemble the Emperor's New Clothes theme? If nobody talks and nobody asks questions, how do we really know if anybody understands anything?

Some people argue that a person should do research before asking the question but isn't asking the question a form of research anyway?

..... a resounding "HERE HERE!" to all of that Brad..

as for the poem ...welll..... i haven't watched TV for 20 years !!!!!! so nope i didn't "get" the allusion.  I sure "got" the atmosphere; I have to admit though your subsequent explanation added vastly to the pathos, which only goes to show that context can certainly change tone, emphasis and even meaning.

good job brad

P

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
9 posted 2000-08-29 06:19 PM

hi brad.  i like the way the first stanza works, and the explination certainly helps me know what you meant.  but...i do feel that something adressing the repression or new lack of it might be good.  i was assuming death or someone leaving or something before i read your explination.  also, im not sure im a fan of the way you repeat "and fifty since ive seen my husband"  i dont know, it just reads weird to me.  
plink plink  
luv Elyse

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Cry of a Woman in Pyongyang

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary