navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Conestoga
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Conestoga Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash

0 posted 2000-07-14 08:59 PM

Through verdant valleys framed by rolling hills
The ageless Conestoga slowly flows.

The echo of Her children's music trills
Through verdant valleys framed by rolling hills,

Reminding men that superstition kills.
Alone forevermore Her journey goes

Through verdant valleys framed by rolling hills:
The ageless Conestoga slowly flows.

For Pete ... I suppose you could say you put my mind in the triolet.    

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 07-14-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Jim Bouder - All Rights Reserved
Tim Gouldthorp
since 2000-01-03
Posts 170

1 posted 2000-07-15 01:19 AM

Jim,

I haven't seen this format of verse before.  I think the line "The ageless Conestoga slowly flows" definetely withstands the repetition, in fact I felt it combined with the meter and the rhyme to mimic the river as it slowly flows.  Normally I would not be overly enamoured with the word 'verdant' but as you use it I think it is appropriate.  I also liked the overall vagueness (for want of a better word) of the poem.  It contributes to the dreamy and timeless impression I recieved.
-Tim

Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

2 posted 2000-07-15 09:14 AM

Hi jbouder, not much of an expert on 'critical analysis', I either like em' or......, so  I just want to say I always enjoy poetry like this- short, succinct & with good rythem.
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
3 posted 2000-07-16 12:26 PM

As great as the prosody is, the words are that much better. Projects images of descendants of the pioneers spreading throughout the land like slowly spreading waters.
I am not particularly fond of the 5th line. It kind of spoils the image for me. Of course you had something entirely different in mind.< !signature-->

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".  

[This message has been edited by Prometheus (edited 07-16-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
4 posted 2000-07-16 06:05 PM

I'm with jamie on his view of the fifth line .. otherwise jim it's great .. the repetition definitely gives it a kind of ageless atmosphere ...lol

come to think of it ..maybe if i repeat myself enough i might stop losing hair!!

thanks jim

p

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2000-07-16 08:34 PM

Thanks,everyone.  The poem is too vague and, because of this, the meaning of the fifth line seems to be mostly lost to you all.  I am working on the rest of the story now and, hopefully, when it is done you will change your mind about the fifth line.

Later (but not much).

Jim

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2000-07-17 12:03 PM

Shame guys, it almost seems obvious where he is going with the 5th line. Persecution, of course, created much of that part of history. Better stop here before I go completely off course though  

Pete

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
7 posted 2000-07-17 01:10 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh noooo you don't Pete ... I just made a complete idiot of myself over Dark Angel's poem ..so c'mon ..

tell all ..... now !!!  

P

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
8 posted 2000-07-18 12:46 PM

hi y'all.  just got back from orientation in NY.  so nice to come to a poem like this.     it has a softness and kind of old, eroded-ness to it.  and superstitions have killed many a person, both in the corporeal and spiritual ways i suppose. anyway, it seemed alright to me.  but i would still love more story.  (cant get enough of that  )
luv Elyse

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Conestoga

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary