navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » I Had A Feeling
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Had A Feeling Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
swan
since 1999-07-19
Posts 58
california, usa

0 posted 2000-06-04 11:04 PM

Without a sound I knew just what you wanted, and withen myself I knew that it was wrong.
Behind the expression on your face I saw your true feelings, on that hot Fourth Of July night.
I had a feeling that nothing would ever hurt me more than what you were about to say.
I looked at you one last time as you quietly begged me to stay.
I said, "we can't go back again, to what we knew before." You said, "I had a feeling I was out of luck."
And then I closed the door.

© Copyright 2000 swan - All Rights Reserved
Joshua Garrett
since 2000-02-17
Posts 21

1 posted 2000-06-05 01:12 AM

I really like this poem alot. The way is flowed was very nice.

For just a plain and simple nice poem I don't know why no one else posted replies either. That is one thing about this board I hate. Some poems don't get replies. Being a nice poem I would think someone else would reply to this and let swan and other poets what they thought. Sorry Swan that no one else relized the goodness in this poem...keep writting and never stop...

-- Joshua Garrett

peppermint35
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1106
Texas, USA
2 posted 2000-06-05 02:54 AM

I enjoyed the message....so true and somewhat sad....you can't go back.  I think you did a very good job with a difficult emotion to express with words.  Keep it up!!!

Peppermint
Life is a Wheel

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2000-06-06 10:17 PM

You have the skeletal framework for a poem here but it's far too vague to elicit any real feeling from me. Try to get more in depth in detail, maybe some background and motivation, shoot for a stronger visual (or other sensory) trigger that brings the reader closer to you situation. Beware poems that anybody can put themselves into.

You might consider reading some other poem around here if you're not sure what I mean.

Just an opinion,
Brad

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
4 posted 2000-06-07 01:27 AM

swan--

i like the longer lines, it's refreshing to see.  the first line flowed really well in perfect iambic pentameter (or i guess it'd be decimeter, actually, lol) with a little extra unstressed beat at "and" breaking up the middle of the line.  the closing two lines, too, had a nice iambic rythym (sort of).  the middles lines, though (especially the third line), didn't really have any kind of rythym to them, i thought, and hurt the flow overall (in my opinion).

content-wise, yeah, i gotta agree with brad here.  imagery (or, as brad says, visual or sensory triggers) can do a lot to bring a poem vividly to life.

thanks for sharing this with us.

jenni

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » I Had A Feeling

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary