navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Darjeeling
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Darjeeling Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon

0 posted 2000-06-01 01:54 PM

I am fully aware that this is rough and in need of some TLC, so feel free to comment, chop and abuse
I am also wondering....your input would be awesome on this...would this do better as prose?

stumbling
breath pained
in her oxygen starved lungs

she ran
on
and on
and on

behind her
deep in the trees
the hound's baying
faded and rose with the
wind's temperamental lofts

shoving the strings
of tangled blonde hair
from her eyes
she ceased her flight
to listen for a moment

there!
the hound's bay grew louder
and once more the fugitive took up
her course
shunning the light
and embracing the shadows

running headlong through a dense copse
hair catching in the fingers of the trees
to pull free, and float like gossamer webs
on the breeze of her haste

her weary feet tangling in the roots
of an ancient oak
causing her to fall into
the clutching arms of the thicket
to the soft moss carpet floor
exhausted from her flight
she lay a moment, stunned
unaware of her surroundings

when she finally gazed up
squinting from the tendrils of sun
that made their way
through the deepest forest
to glint off time-worn crosses
and drip off the leaves of this secret place
to fall to rest, in golden pools
on the deep velvet carpet below

ethereal in their repose
the crosses stood stately and strong
remainders of another time
the girl rose to approach the nearest grave
hesitantly extending her fingers
to trace the design in the headstone

her blood raced in her veins

as she sensed a presence
a warmth
near her feet
fearfully, she glanced down
ans what she saw there was no demon
or even a driad spirit
but an oversized ebony cat
curling himself in adoration
around her briar torn ankles
looking up at her with a cool, green gaze
that made her suddenly not feel so alone

bending to scoop him into her arms
she pressed her face to him
and let her troubles
be dissolved by his soft purr
smiling slightly,
she put him a bit away from her
and drank in his feline beauty

when she noticed something jewelled on his neck
fingering the amethyst beads
she turned the collar round and round his neck
until a little gold heart came into view
on the heart was inscribed in an ancient script
'Darjeeling'

Darjeeling....what a funny name
thought the girl

with a soft thud on the ground below
the cat launched himself out of her arms
turning and miaowing to her to come
he padded slowly into the forest
after a short walk, she found herself
on the edge of a beautiful meadow
and on the far side, a lovely cottage
with a curling wisp of smoke
coming from the chimney

mustering all the courage she could
she moved hesitantly across the grass
up the cobbled walk,
between rows of lavendar
to knock on a weathered old door
but somehow, with Darjeeling there
she felt unafraid, mostly

when the door creaked open
and a wizened old woman
peered out from the dark recesses
the girl felt a strange relief
and simply said, "I've come"
the woman smiled in a toothless grin
and bid her in saying,
"I see Darjeeling found you allright"

the girl sat on a willow chair
and puzzled over all of this
while the cat  bathed himself
near the open log fire

taking the steaming mug
from the woman's extended hand
the girl soon found herself
in a haze of light and colour
as she slipped to the floor
fast asleep

cackling to herself the old witch
muttered and chanted incantations
while the fire and bubbling pot
danced in tune
and the girl slept and slept
unaware of the spells cast all around

stretching and wakening
the girl yawned and murmured
and stood shakily
weak from her day's trials
looking around
it seemed as if the cottage had grown
or she had shrunk
when she tried to call out to the old lady
all that issued from her lips
was a creaky miaow

"Our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything."
--William Shakespeare

© Copyright 2000 Heather Walters - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2000-06-01 10:40 PM

No, I don't think this should be prose.  I think the stanza structure works well with the direct narrative going on here. I would have preferred a little more motivation: Why is she running?  Why is she a fugitive?

As I was reading, I found the first part to be very tight but that you started slowing down and becoming more 'poetic' when the cat enters the scene -- I found this to be a bit uneven (you could argue foreshadowing).  I was hoping for a little more of a play on 'darjeeling' but then again maybe I'm just missing something (I can only think of the tea and the place -- both of which don't seem to have any connection to the story).

The ending might be stronger if you gave us more motivation but I've often wondered why so many women want to be cats.

And here's where I think you should do a little more thinking. I've read this story before -- but what can you do with it?  How do you take this ending and make it more interesting?  Surprising?  What about playing with the idea and showing, I don't know, that the girl wasn't running from something but toward something? That this is what she wanted?  That the witch was her mother? That she was returning to her orginal form?

Of course, all of these aren't exactly original either.  How about a switch between the witch and the girl? The witch, in girl form, runs off but the cat stays with the girl?  This kind of fits the feels the girl had toward the cat in the first place.

Just throwing out ideas,
Brad

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
2 posted 2000-06-02 12:37 PM

you used my favorite word! (ethereal)    on your question about whether it should be prose, i think that might be a really fruitful thing to explore.  it reads kinda prosaicly, and i think it could be nice to do a simmering kind of suspense, focusing on the running like you do.  then you could flesh out descriptions and interior monolouges with all kinds of delicious adjectives and painstaking precision, and that could be a fall-down-dead-amazing short story.  just an opinion  
luv Elyse

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then . . . . I contradict myself;
I am large . . . . I contain multitudes.
-Papa Walt

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
3 posted 2000-06-02 06:32 PM

Brad, I appreciate your reply, I knew this was rough when I posted it...BUT you gave me some excellent pointers on my poem, I realized that I had some gaps in the poem, but couldn't put my finger on them. Soooo I have formed some new ideas thanks to you! I am of a few trains of thought now...one was that the girl was a cat in the beginning...and left *home* to become a human (for reasons of love maybe...slightly mermaidish to me tho if she did that LOL) and when things got tough, she headed for home, just like a cat! (even as far as the dogs chasing the cat) LOL but she didn't know where home was exactly, cuz she had forgotten during her time as a human...so darjeeling found her (I think its safe to say that there were a number of cats and each had a tea name LOL) anyhoo....then she made it home and got turned safely back into a feline....
*sigh* I dunno, I was restless last night and tried to rewrite this in my mind...
and here is Nan on ICQ editing my poem for me and making it sounds awesome *hug* thanks Nan.....
This poem bubbled around in me for a week before I could contain it into word form! And I really want it to be as good as it can be....thanks guys

Thanks Elyse...I am not sure about Prose...it fits as a poem, but we'll see, I am going to work on a rewrite and see what happens, this poem has had a life of it's own from the very start  
~Heather

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-06-03 02:04 PM

Heather,

I think this will work very well as a poem when you get it all worked out. A fairy-tale poem...almost an epic.

In the third stanza, I would eliminate "deep in the trees"...it reads a little smoother.

I like the hair thing ... very visual, dramatic. Most of your words are excellently chosen for imagery. I could see this being the first of a series...with illustrations.

Thanks for a fanciful, enjoyable read,
Kris

To Brad...I think the woman and cat analogy is wrong...men are more like cats...less emotion, have more freedom, do basically what they want, picky, aloof, you can only touch them when they want you to, etc. Women are more comparable to dogs...kept on a leash, made to perform for their "master", trained to be quiet, sit, etc., never get enough attention, lick the "master's" hand...hmmmmm, sounds like the makings of a poem.   < !signature-->

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 06-03-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
5 posted 2000-06-06 11:09 AM

Heather .. ok .. I'll wait for the rewrite, but i can't help but say that this had the atmosphere of an E M Forster novel .. y'know the kinda thing .. mysterious languid sensual kind of oriental mysticism.  I thought you already had the "right" atmosphere - please don't change that - but maybe brad is right, a new twist to the story line might be interesting.  Judging by the ideas he's throwing out i guess you need to ask him what he's on ...lol  

good read heather

philip

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2000-06-06 11:00 PM

Kris,
Can't wait to read the poem. It sounds interesting.

Philip,
Caffeine and too much of it.  Sorry to disappoint you but I bet Heather can relate.  

Brad

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
7 posted 2000-06-07 05:28 AM

yeah .. caffeine can't be the solution she's drowning in expressos and lattes already

P

PS i AM disappointed ....lol

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 06-07-2000).]

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
8 posted 2000-06-07 11:06 AM

hehehe I snuck in to eavesdrop on the discourse between you two....and I am *sheepish grin* in the middle of this absolutely eroticly sinful white chocolate silk mocha...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

H

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
9 posted 2000-06-07 11:15 AM

LOL....yeah well ..while you're busy being sinful heather ... quit concentrating on the caffeine and take a look at my poem ... and don't panic about the title either ..lol...       

P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Darjeeling

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary