navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Storm of Love
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Storm of Love Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
peppermint35
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1106
Texas, USA

0 posted 2000-06-04 11:46 AM

Lightning flashes illuminate your face
As you smile, throw back your head
And drink in the rain
You shake out your hair
Scattering drops everywhere
Your eyes ask me to share your joy
Seeing you like this, playful as a child
I hold out my arms to warmly enfold
You nestle now, snug on my chest
Our eyes meet and lock
As we hungrily gaze deep
Lightning flashes again
Another storm brewing
This one from within.

Peppermint
Life is a Wheel

© Copyright 2000 Lavenia Crosley - All Rights Reserved
lotharingia
since 2000-06-04
Posts 897
saarbruecken, Germany
1 posted 2000-06-05 03:11 AM

You have a vivid imagery in this poem. This is really well done, I especially like your description of wild joy and the way you equate a storm with passion, unbounded, wild and reckless as they both are.  I feel as though I'm there!
PoetasterD
since 2000-06-03
Posts 42
Florida
2 posted 2000-06-05 07:07 PM

I have to admit, I had NO idea where this one was going. I don't know why, with a title like "Storm of Love" but the ending (Which is my favorite part) threw me for a loop. As I scrolled down I just expected to keep going and then, BANG, the ending.

Believe me, I can relate to the storm brewing within!

Best wishes,
Poetaster D

In reference to my poem "She & Her", She and Her are two different people. "She" is the person that I am with right now, physically, "Her" refers to the person that I am with in my dreams. "She" doesn't know that I dream about "Her"........

Thanks for the reply!

Best wishes,
Poetaster D

[This message has been edited by PoetasterD (edited 06-05-2000).]

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2000-06-06 10:34 PM

This starts off okay but the ending is entirely predictable.  Realize that almost always the first reversal you come up with is the same one as everybody else. I would say that you need to expand it, explore the theme , ask yourself questions.  Why are they in the rain?  Is there a connection, I mean a physical tactile connection, between passion and lightning? Possibly -- it's called fear.

Ultimately, and I'm going to pen a new word here, I think you need to 'complexify' this piece,

Just an opinion,
Brad

peppermint35
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1106
Texas, USA
4 posted 2000-06-07 12:30 PM

I appreciate all these comments, truly...I see that I have not been able to make my message clear...possibly because I wrote it for a specific forum, where the meaning was all too clear.  Though explanations might not be necessary, I actually wrote this for a Beauty and the Beast fan club (we are all obsessed!!!)  and it depicts a scene from one of the episodes.  But, I can see if it is going to work, to stand by itself, so to speak, it needs more work... thanks again.  

Peppermint
Life is a Wheel

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Storm of Love

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary