navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ocean
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ocean Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

0 posted 2000-04-12 03:49 PM

I hear in the distance the call of the mighty, eternally rolling and mystical sea,
"Come back to the whale-road, the gull-path, the wind-way, the pasturing whitecaps as far as you see.
Come lose all your fears and ambitions and sadnesses, swathed and absorbed in the essence of me,
And bask on my beaches and bathe in my breakers and cast off your shackles and dare to be free."

© Copyright 2000 Ted Reynolds - All Rights Reserved
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

1 posted 2000-04-12 06:10 PM

Ted,

Very unique...hauntingly mystical. I liked it very much. Nice work...

Kris

the poet's pen...gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name ~ Shakespeare

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2000-04-12 06:17 PM

Yep, Ted, Kris is right, this is very nice. It has an almost surreal feel to it which I can't explain. You know though, I just can't help but want to break the lines in half. It fits so perfectly that way too.

I hear in the distance the call of the mighty,
   Eternally rolling and mystical sea,
   "Come back to the whale-road, the gull-path, the wind-way,
   The pasturing whitecaps as far as you see.
   Come lose all your fears and ambitions and sadnesses,
   Swathed and absorbed in the essence of me,
   And bask on my beaches and bathe in my breakers
   And cast off your shackles and dare to be free."

J/K, keep it like it is, it works fine. Sorry about butchering your work.

Pete

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2000-04-12 11:13 PM

Ted,
Has a very nineteenth century feel for me. That's not necessarily bad but I wondered if you might want to bring out the tension of the ocean a bit more, something like the tides, the tumult beneath the waves or something like that.

Thanks,
Brad

whipsnade
since 2000-02-28
Posts 40

4 posted 2000-04-12 11:23 PM

Ted,,
  As a kid who grew up on the ocean and lived my young life on its beachs { An ocean lifeguard at 16,]  through college and years after on weekends,, married with kids,with that Irish affinity for the sea,half cousin to the dolphins, you have rung my bell.
Thanks,,
            Whipsnade

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

5 posted 2000-04-13 03:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Pete, but I think I'll stick with the long lines; I think/hope they help give the sense of boundlessness I'm trying for.  Shorter lines seem too confined for the subject.
     But always criticise away.  And don't think you're butchering; I've been butchered by experts.  You're just sandpapering.

Brad, I'd love to do just what you suggest.  I'd like to extend this into more verses on the tides, and the undertoes, and see what happens to the rhythm.  But when I got through these four lines, my mind stopped . . . for now, anyway.  I hope it reboots soon.

And Kris and Whipsnade, all I can say is "Aw, shucks . . ."

achicade
since 2000-04-02
Posts 66
Marietta, GA USA
6 posted 2000-04-13 10:14 PM

Wonderful!  I am in love with the ocean and your poetry captures the feeling I get when I visit.  

God bless you all. :-)
-debbie-

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
7 posted 2000-04-15 06:35 PM

I thought this poem was great.  I loved the way that their seemed to be waves of rythym inside the long lines.  I was somewhat reminded of Edna's swim out in The Awakening, but you bring it back from the idea of the sea as a swallower of persons as well as of sorrows with the line "bask on my beaches".  Very nicely done.  I disagree with Brad's suggestion that you should  bring out the turmoil of the ocean because I felt that in this poem the ocean was offering itself as a healer and it was the person who was going to the ocean to stop their own turmoil.  Very very nice job.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Ocean

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary