navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » They Always Said...
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic They Always Said... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

0 posted 2000-01-29 11:40 PM

I had already written this, but was inspired to post it by Philip's comment that he was "too nice".

my mother always said,
you're too sensitive,
just too sensitive for your own good,
and I think she was right,
for I cannot bear to hurt or be hurt.

you're too nice,
the last thing I'd wanna be
thought of is "nice",
my sister always said,
and I think she was right,
for I treat others as I
would like to be treated,
but I do get trod upon.

a colleague always says to me,
you're such a strong, intelligent woman,
but I don't think she's right,
for she sees the woman I wear,
when the need is there,
a mask of avocation...
occupational wardrobe.

There've been times,
arriving home,
I forget to fully undress,
to drop the mask held in place
by insecurity.

I wonder what my colleague would say,
if I stood before her naked,
stripped of professionalism,
would she still think
"strong and intelligent",
or would she then also see
that I am too sensitive,
and too nice...
for my own
good.

Kristine

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 01-30-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 warmhrt - All Rights Reserved
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
1 posted 2000-01-30 01:21 PM

Oooh, this is so good, my thoughts are that she would probally find that someone just like herself, minus her own mask.  We all wear a mask of some sort for protection, in a harsh enviroment.  It so nice to be able to take off our masks in Passionate Forums!
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
2 posted 2000-01-30 03:11 PM

Kristine how ironic "inspired by Philip's comment", you and I could do each other some serious damage   (this is the man who sends an e-mail and then after no reply in 5 minutes gets to thinking he's mortally offended the recipient ..lol).

Seriously though I can REALLY identify with this especially the line "stripped of professionalism", I spent 20 years acting a part at work ... not "nice" at all I can assure you..

It's hard for me to critique the poem as a poem because I get preoccupied with the message, but then maybe that is what this is all about.

Philip

PS now maybe you can see why I'm so wounded by those hurtful unprovoked comments of Jim's     

PPS Hey I didn't offend you with my mention of your name in my poem "For Jim etc" did I? Gettin worried here ..  

PPPS Obviously not ~smile of relief~ I just read your kind and funny reply .. thanks

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 01-30-2000).]

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

3 posted 2000-01-30 04:10 PM

Septsong,
Nice to see ya...it's been a while. So glad you enjoyed, and, you're so right about Passions, or anywhere else in the virtual world. It's easy to be yourself when you're behind the computer screen.

Philip,
I just read your reply to my victory speech. I'm not pushing it at all...you just can't take it. You know I'm just teasing you...but the GRRR's scared me a bit.
Now about Jim, well, don't be bothered by him...I can read him like a book (oh,oh ... cliche). He's just a big softie on the inside. All the other stuff is just a testosterone-induced macho image he thinks he must maintain. He lets his mask fall occasionally.  

Kristine

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2000-01-31 01:50 PM

Kris (Grasshoppa):

I can really identify with this one too.  You describe the tension between passive by nature/aggressive by necessity beautifully.  Perhaps this is an example of why Bradley keeps insisting that all of the best poets in here are women.  It's hard to "write" feelings (much harder than "feeling" feelings) but you do it very nicely here.

Philip:

While I openly and honestly admit to those "hurtful" comments to which you vaguely refer, I flatly deny (as would anyone else that KNOWS you) that those comments were unprevoked.      

Kris:

No comment on the "big softie on the inside" indictment.  And stop psychoanalyzing me in public!  Isn't that unethical or something?  

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
5 posted 2000-01-31 02:20 PM

"UNPROVOKED" even .......  HEH HEH  
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2000-01-31 02:28 PM

I think this illustrates your sensitivity....

...I wouldn't stand naked before your co-worker though -- you could get sued for that.  Just try it on us.  We won't litigate!  

Nice poem too!

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-01-31 11:15 PM

Jimteach,
Thank you for your kind remarks. I really liked that sociological phrase "passive by nature/aggressive by necessity". Mind if I use it? If I can, I promise never to bare another part of your psyche in public.

Rebel,
Thanks for the comment on the poem. As to the other...I'm also known for my modesty.

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
8 posted 2000-01-31 11:41 PM

Hello,

Well Warmhrt I gotta say that I really like this poem. I liked the style and "voice" of it. Thought the second stanza was excellent.
The "..." in the third seemed unnecessary. I thought the fourth stanza could have been expanded...perhaps the results of not dropping the "mask" when returning home. The last stanza was pretty good though I thought the "..."s weren't needed.

Anyways, thanks for the read, take care,
Trevor

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
9 posted 2000-02-01 06:20 AM

Kris:

You may use it but only if you use the proper citations/footnotes and include the phrase in quotes.  lol.  Conditional permission granted (no more reading my open book in public).

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

10 posted 2000-02-01 08:20 AM

Trevor,
Thanks for reading, and also for the constructive crits. I will certainly consider them.

Jimteach,
Gotcha

Kristine

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » They Always Said...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary