navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Skylark.
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Skylark. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2016-05-27 06:56 PM

Skylark.

The barley fields

Paint the gentle hills

With August gold

Late summer ripe

~

From the stalk forest

The skylark is stirring

Freedom whispers

On the south wind

~

Soar my little one

On brave wings

Of liquid melody

Higher, higher

~

Beyond the clouds

To reach the ear of God

Who bends his head

and smiles at beauty

© Copyright 2016 Cari - All Rights Reserved
Pete_W
Posts 185
Scotland (UK)
1 posted 2016-05-28 07:09 AM

Great images painted in few words, I can see and hear that lark, well done, enjoyed.
Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete_W (05-28-2016 10:59 AM).]

Ari Squire
Posts 488
In The Phallus Lane
2 posted 2016-06-05 11:26 PM

Colorful images and sounds. Smooth flowing patterns of a solitary Skylark, and it's Creator pleased with His work.

So many facets of structure in your work Cari. Step outside of your humility, take a look and give your own work a nod. As you should.

More feelings and fewer words please

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
3 posted 2016-06-06 05:45 AM

Thank you friends glad you enjoyed this small poem.
The poem was inspired by a piece of music which was itself inspired from a poem. The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams where the solo violin takes on the voice of the Lark in this unique piece of music.
Even if you are not into classical music, listen to the opening few minutes and you will hear the song of the lark.
As much as Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring embodies America so the pastoral music of England displays my country. It never is a question of which is better, just music which we both can enjoy.

The best rendition of the The Lark Ascending   is here.

https://youtu.be/wbFi85piaEg

Cari.

Ari Squire
Posts 488
In The Phallus Lane
4 posted 2016-06-06 10:03 AM

Truly a lovely piece Cari. Played it through my morning rituals and it filled the house, growing slowly from the beginning. I see where its something of an interpretation of a poem by George Meredith. I'll be looking to read his work.

You know Cari, if you were to play the 'word' game with most of us here in the states and said "Lark", many would say, "Studebaker"! And if you were to say "Skylark", most would say, "Buick"!

Forgive us our sins...    

More feelings and fewer words please

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
5 posted 2016-06-06 01:18 PM

Speaking of word games, well to be more precise, London slang.  I think I got away with the Goolie word in the Tat Man, but don’t tell anyone.
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
6 posted 2016-06-06 05:26 PM

I loved the colors of your poem, while reading there was a music of wind in my tv set, this created a very special moment,

have a nice day

yann

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Skylark.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary