navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Thinking on My Feet.
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Thinking on My Feet. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2016-05-23 03:55 PM

A very short story in prose which I hope is not breaking any rules.

A weekend break found us the Fen country, charming as the wetlands were we were bound for the city of Ely. The wife had suggested a visit to the cathedral and maybe a spot of shopping.
I sighed, and mentally checked our bank balance; I knew her interest in ancient piles was severely limited.
My fears were justified, after the morning spent in delighting half of the shopkeepers in the city; I rebelled and confiscated her credit card.

We walked in stony silence to the house of God, its honey walls shimmering in the afternoon sun. Once inside I tried to lighten the atmosphere that had grown between us, but stone effigies of long dead knights and their consorts bought little response, even the serenity of the Ladies Chapel failed to stir her interest; she bore the glint of revenge in her eyes.

A mixed group of Japanese and American tourists shuffled to a halt before a wooden model enclosed in a glass case. The young woman guide cleared her throat and pointed to the reproduction.
“In the fifteenth century the old stone Norman tower collapsed and a replica was built of wood; this is a model of the tower”
A large middle aged Texan wanted to know more, The poor girl floundered, desperately searching through the notes on her clip board
My wife moved in for the kill
“Can my husband help? He is an expert on medieval architecture” She smiled. “I am sure he will be happy to answer all your questions”
Knowing as much about the subject as I do about French embroidery; I searched my memory banks in desperation. A faintly remembered year old documentary came to the rescue.
I pointed to the model.
“You will note sir the structure of the tower”
The Texan peered through the glass case.
“Not a bolt or a nail in sight is there”
“You’re right sir” he acknowledged
“Dowels and green timber; as it seasoned the structure acquired twice its strength”
Growing in confidence I rambled on. I finished to the polite applause from the Japanese and a bone crunching handshake from the Texan.

”My hero” grinned my wife as we left.
“Oh it was nothing” I replied “Shops again I think, there’s a book I want”
“Medieval Architecture?” She laughed
“No, Lucrezia Borgia’s Potions and Poisons” I smiled.

My married life with Christine will never be dull.

© Copyright 2016 Cari - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2016-05-23 09:52 PM

Love this story.Nothing surpasses a good memory.Jo Perry
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
2 posted 2016-05-23 11:55 PM

full of smiles here, life of a tourist isn't quiet evrytime, we can't know everything and place, and history, you did a wonderful job here, liked your story and would have enjoyed being to the visit for the fun, what a smile

yann

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Thinking on My Feet.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary