navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Small Things
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Small Things Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Pete_W
Posts 185
Scotland (UK)

0 posted 2016-05-15 05:40 PM

Small Things

Three gulls,
      one crying.
Three swifts,
      one crow,
the silent sky, filled
with white cloud currents,
wind thinned swirls
and horses manes.
Distant dogs,
sun behind the pear tree
near the longest day,
a blackbird,
in a neighbour’s garden.
Circling gull,
      three times crying,
an ant on garden stones
seeks passage.
A mouse-brown swift
lies on the grass,
wings outstretched,
gliding on forever.

December 2015

© Copyright 2016 Pete_W - All Rights Reserved
jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2016-05-17 12:31 PM

small is beautiful, and if one stops to notice them, they are so precious - life's pleasures all for the taking, for free! Lovely one, this piece..I like best the swift with wings outstretched, gliding forever,
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
2 posted 2016-05-17 10:28 AM

Your poem illustrates that a poet has to be a keen observer, from both small and the large before he/she can turn even the mundane into poetry. The young Kipling spent many hours in the company of the ordinary British soldier in India, unheard of in the 1880s. But it gave him the knowledge to be the first to give the illiterate and semi illiterate a voice. Imagine that happening in the closed world of Victorian society, even today the collection of Barrack Room Ballads is judged to be slightly racist.

What do you expect, the truth to be sanitised for those so easily offended ears? Well I expect some do.
Interesting poem.

Cari.

[This message has been edited by Cari (05-17-2016 11:10 AM).]

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
3 posted 2016-05-17 11:05 AM

I understand this poem, Pete. Over many years I have found myself more and more noticing the "small" creatures in our world. I am so absurd about how I think of them I won't even step on an aunt bed. I'm no fanatic about it, and if they build their home too close to me I have no problem getting rid of it. But yeah, the small one are fascinating and part of it all.

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Small Things

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary