navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » To Be or Not to Be
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic To Be or Not to Be Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2016-04-26 11:10 AM

Oh humanity!
How wondrous is your diversity.
How monstrous your animosity,
your ignorance and atrocity.

To be transgender
is not to be a sex offender.
To be authentic, not a pretender
inside flesh and bone so tender.

Son to daughter, daughter to son;
the transition is not an easy one.
The steps taken are fought and won.
Self is shown when said and done.

Now is the time to show some empathy,
wisdom and a lot of maturity.
Suck up the fear and insecurity-
matters not what one used to be.

Some are quick to say, “Beware predator!
Man in a dress at the bathroom door!”
Since when has this been a problem before?
Predators can be anyone, let’s not ignore.

How convenient to demonize,
in an election to politicize
those who are different to ostracize.
Just who are they to criticize?

I hope my point is plain to see
that this hype is ridiculous over where to pee.
It is for them to use the bathrooms accordingly
and for us to leave them to their anonymity.

LGR©4/26/16

© Copyright 2016 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
1 posted 2016-04-26 12:28 PM

Love the poem!  One of your best, and so well written.

I don't agree with you (subject matter) - but, the poem, for poem's sake, is wonderfully done.

j.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
2 posted 2016-04-26 12:40 PM

We can agree to disagree and obviously be grown up about it. That's important! Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. ~L
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
3 posted 2016-04-26 01:26 PM

Yes I heard about this law and it does seem a little weird and not a topic to waste time on. How about some more sensible laws? For example paid maternity leave for mums and dads which I gather you do not have.  

EU laws on maternity rights and parental leave.

Pregnant workers have the right to attend ante-natal appointments during working hours on full pay.
Women are entitled to take at least 14 weeks maternity leave before and/or after childbirth - and must take at least two weeks leave before and/or after childbirth.
Employers must not dismiss a woman who is pregnant and/or on maternity leave except in exceptional circumstances not connected with pregnancy/maternity.

These are just the basic laws that all members of the EU have to adopt. Many nations in the EU go much further in parents paid leave.

I love Americans but why have you let yourselves fall so far behind other nations in the fundamental care of their people?

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2016-04-26 01:50 PM

Couldn't agree with Jimmy more, on both counts, the poem so well done, but that is just you . . . On the other matter . . . nope . . .

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
5 posted 2016-04-26 03:29 PM

Thanks for the input Cari. We see things the same way. ~L
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
6 posted 2016-04-26 03:40 PM

I knew you wouldn't agree with me Jerry. I'm just glad Jimmy said it first so you could agree with him rather than disagree with me.
~L

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
7 posted 2016-04-26 04:43 PM

The idea of not liking who you see in the mirror is a travesty to me. I can't imagine those who live their life so unhappy with their gender. IMHO I couldn't care less about anyone's sex life, gender preference, or which pot they pee in.
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
8 posted 2016-04-26 06:31 PM

Blues,
Just had an interesting talk with my husband. He said something about guys that look like guys go into the ladies room claiming to be Transgender and expose themselves and there is nothing the Police can do. Sounds like BS to me because if I walk into a ladies room and there is a woman exposing herself, I'm calling the police. Indecent exposure is the same I don't care who you are.
Let me be very clear here, If you look like a lady use the ladies room. If you are peeing standing up you are either stupid, rude or an imposter.
And why does it seem to be the men that are getting all weirded out when it is our bathroom? ~L  

Ari Squire
Posts 488
In The Phallus Lane
9 posted 2016-04-26 08:00 PM

That Man cannot direct his own step isn't news, and neither is this topic. The degeneration and disintegration of polite society, what ever there was of it, has begged its leave. Poem schmoem, take your attitudes to the discussion forums.

P.S Speaking of attitudes, what a heady take on Jerry. I got the right, he's got the right and everyone has the right to disagree with you from any direction they choose. I disagree with you directly and I don't care what anyone else says. Yes, you are entitled to your own take and I for one respect that. But I know Jerry does not need to filter his opinions through the writings of others just to patronize you.   /font>

More feelings and fewer words please

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
10 posted 2016-04-27 08:46 AM

I have stated my view on the subject of a poem’s content in the discussion board ‘The Alley, if any members wish to add their own.

Cari.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
11 posted 2016-04-27 09:39 AM

Ari, Yes Jerry is free to disagree with me as I assumed he would. My meaning was that his response to me was more gentle by agreeing with Jimmy's disagreement. Jerry's voice is very capable and needs no one to defend it for him.

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
12 posted 2016-04-27 09:42 AM

Good idea Cari!
What a can of worms I've opened here. ~L

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
13 posted 2016-05-05 08:24 PM

"How convient to demonize."  I suppose we are all capable of that if we chose to; something to remember, we are all sinnners and need a Savior, and if we don't fit His love and forgiveness into the equasion we are all in trouble...james
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
14 posted 2016-05-09 06:36 AM

Amen James. Good to remember Jesus embraced the outcasts. ~L
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
15 posted 2016-05-10 02:17 PM

Im afraid your husband is not full of b.s. Recently one man was arrested for taking pictures in a girls changing room at Targets. Others have been caught and who knows how many have not been?

The fact that a person only has to say "I feel like a female today" to gain entrance is, to my mind, ridiculous. Change anatomically or have a letter from a certified sex therapist or, at least, dress up like a woman and it would at least show a little control but "I feel like a woman. Let me in." just should not cut it. If someone had told you 10 years ago that one of the hottest topics in the country would be if men could use girl's bathrooms, I doubt you would have believed it...but here we are. Isn't it strange how many "us against them" situations have popped up in the past 7 years or so?

I could not find anywhere in the past few decades where transgenders have complained or suffered mental distress at having to use an opposite sex bathroom. Is the sight of a male penis so horrific to them, even though they have one? They can simply go into a stall and not see or be seen, as they would be expected to do in a ladies room. So why is it now that this 1/2 of 1 percent of the population is so tramautized that changes must be made? What in the world is the government doing sticking it's beak in there...unless the government is the instigator of the latest us-against-them controversy?

Thank God the founding fathers aren't around to see this. They would probably be expecting us to be discussing unemployment, immigration, terrorism, the economy or other such trivialities which, of course, pale in comparison to the Battle of the Bathrooms.

Like the poem from a poetic level, by the way

Pete_W
Posts 185
Scotland (UK)
16 posted 2016-05-10 03:11 PM

Great poem, and what a reaction you've drawn, your last stanza says it all for me. For some reason the last line of WBY's, "He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven", comes to mind.
Anyway enjoyed reading and thinking about this one. Thanks.

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
17 posted 2016-05-11 07:32 AM

I have posted a reply to Balladeer comments in the ‘Alley’ if anyone would like to read’

Cari

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
18 posted 2016-05-12 11:08 AM

Cari
I replied to you in the Alley ~L

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
19 posted 2016-05-15 06:57 AM

Hi, Lori!
It's a relevant poem for your world, I heard.
Nicely written. Although I can't say that I have any serious point of view on the toilet problem. More practical, I think.
I don't know what a difference between men's and women's toilets in the US, except urinals, but here men use their toilet rooms and women use theirs just not to feel embarrassment and also because men's toilets are more comfortable for men technically, as well as women's toilets for women. Maybe we are light-minded, but we often stick with the informal approach: when there is a too long queue to the women's toilet, women can use men's toilet, if there are no men inside of course. I did it myself several times.
But being transgender... I don't know. I saw them only on TV and never in the toilet. But I suppose it's a matter of our cultural level. Transgender persons have to pee somewhere. Not in the street after all. So I think, if he/she used any toilet not trying to insult anybody, in the most of cases there would be no problems at all. But if such person was impolite or tried to take pictures, or exposed him/herself, then people would sort it out without police, no matter if the offender was transgender or not.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » To Be or Not to Be

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary