navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Lies of Love
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Lies of Love Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2016-04-13 11:53 AM

we’ve been conditioned to lie
especially about love
what is true at the present
will every so often become a lie tomorrow
the love we feel today
will be different from the love this time next year
we shout out love, love, love
as if it was something with unchanging worth
instead it's like certain flowers
which die
only to bloom into a different bud

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

© Copyright 2016 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Ari Squire
Posts 488
In The Phallus Lane
1 posted 2016-04-13 08:29 PM

Sharp insights that cut to the quick of it. You couldn't be more right about this *'crazy little thing called love'.

*Queen from the album "The Game".

More feelings and fewer words please

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2016-04-13 08:51 PM

Queen! One of rock's all time best, ranks right up there with Moody Blues, and a few more. Thank you for your read and comment.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2016-04-14 11:51 AM

A somehow bitter statement, dear Jerry, but in so many cases this is the truth. When we are in love we do not contemplate the possibility of change and yet it crawls right next to our every step we take towards the future.

Very well expressed.

Love,
Margherita

"Forget every touch or sound that did not teach you how to dance."
(Rumi)

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2016-04-14 03:58 PM

Thank you, Margherita , you explained it so perfectly, as you seem to always do . . .

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 2016-04-15 01:04 PM

Have to take the devil's advocate role on this one.  I think there are two kinds of people.  Those who can lie about love and fall in and out of it depending on which way the wind blows, and those that are not moved so easily to such whimsical emotional rises and when/if they do feel such, cherish it and want to hold it forever.  I think the former outnumber the latter by a great number as well.

If one set of those people were blessed, and one cursed, as much as I hold myself to the latter group, I will admit wishing I could let go of whom I loved in the former, who didn't share my outlook.  The feelings still live in me and do not pass, I just walk more steady and try to be very careful who I let in.  I envy your ability to just move on, Jer.  I do believe my party to be the cursed one.  Kudos for the provocative write.

Michael

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2016-04-15 01:41 PM

Ah Michael, love is supreme in its making. Delightful in its hold on us. And tragic when it all falls apart. Most of us survive that separation, those who do not are left to wander within the mindset of what was supreme . . . That, my friend is where the tragic comes in to play.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2016-04-15 02:12 PM

Not tragic at all, Jer, to cherish what was good I Don't think..  Just not so inclined to hurry off and bury it in the flesh of another and expect the same "true love" feeling to come from it was all I was saying...  Because if the love were true on both ends, the other wouldn't have strayed, or fallen out of love to begin with.  The curse being that there are so many out there whose feelings switch on a dime, eventually one who does have the capability to love a single person faithfully for a lifetime is bound to be burned over and over by those who aspire to the "if you can't be it the on you love, love the one you're with" outlook or just grow to fear sharing emotion at all, feeling cheapened by or used from the experience.  Hope that clarifies a little.  Peace to you buddy.

Michael

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
8 posted 2016-04-18 04:58 AM

Wow!! You have opened a real can of worms here friend. When discussing the pros and cons of relationships it is difficult to decide where reality ends and the fantasy begins, they’re so intertwined.      
If you dare to look for an authentic view you will be shouted down by the romantics. It’s amazing that we choose a partner for life with so little information available to make to make that choice. I remember asking my mother once about choosing a partner for life; she smiled and said ‘Be lucky’ I was.

Any glance of nature will give you the answer to the basic question as to why we are here which we share with every living thing on the planet i.e. to repopulate our species, the rest is just embroidery.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » The Lies of Love

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary