navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Del Abe
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Del Abe Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2016-01-03 06:44 PM

For those who do not remember or had never read the poems  of Del "Abe" Jones
If you check the older stacks you will  find his poems always  right on

Jo

© Copyright 2016 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
1 posted 2016-01-03 08:17 PM

For those that don't know, Del Jones served in the Air Force from 1958 to 1961 in the K-9 Corps. He was stationed in Washington.

A friend of mine from Arkansas, John Steer, lost an arm on 'Hamburger Hill' in Vietnam and went on to become a well respected minister, author of several books, and founder of 'Fort Steer' to aid vets with a variety of war-related issues. He also toured with another purple heart vet friend named Britt Small, who formed a 12 piece band.

There are many who shed blood and tears in the wars of this nation and continue to do so. Out of each one come poets and just plain ordinary guys like me.

The list of notables could go on, but what ticks in your heart poets of the blue, is of at least equal importance to me.

That is a prelude working up to this senryu:

call them what you will
those dashing heroes of old
voices from the past

88's all

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

Ticklefingers
Posts 710
Louisiana
2 posted 2016-01-03 08:20 PM

You're lucky Jo, that Ron didn't fly over and send you to a discussion forum.

That's nearly the same as being banished to a great abyss.

Ask me...I know.

She told me "play one for your supper Danny and maybe you'll get breakfast".

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2016-01-04 02:11 AM

TF My husband whom I met when he came home from the Navy was just nineteen when he came home from his three year stint.He trained and was a gunner on the U.S.S.Houston sitting in the gunner's seat at the Battle of Leyte.He turned 18 the month after that last battle. stayed in the gunner's seat while others were transferring to another ship.It had been torpedoed twice and was being towed to a place to have repairs.Not many left on the ship others were being buried at sea.He was a great guy.jo

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
4 posted 2016-01-05 01:42 PM

always 'right on' indeed !
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Del Abe

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary