navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Sonnet
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sonnet Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia

0 posted 2013-10-11 03:49 PM

One more song translation to share with you, now the song by Vladimir Lantsberg. I guess that it's not ideal, but at least it fits the original tune.

The Sonnet

Don’t worry, kid! You see – here is my hand
My tried palm remembers bows and darts
On it – the road of days, the brook of parting
To which you went so long from far away

Hold back! I never drink from shady streams
So, lying on the hills, calm down your breath
Forget all your uncertainty and weakness
Dissolve your doubts in this ephemeral peace

The strokes of years, remaining everywhere –
How many paths, my friend, we trod together!
Who knows the land to which we both will carry
This web of roads on our stiff faces?

But you may leave your fear – here is my hand
Extended through the times to help you stand

October 2013

Here is the record of the original version (with my vocal):
https://soundcloud.com/galina-italyanskaya/sonnet

[This message has been edited by Gale (10-11-2013 05:53 PM).]

© Copyright 2013 Galina Italyanskaya - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2013-10-11 05:08 PM

I enjoyed listening to you reciting "The Sonnet," even though I couldn't understand it I had the words before me. Even if I hadn't had the words before me I would have still listened to it to the end because you have such a pleasing voice.

~*~ I want to hear a Jim Croce song, but it will cut too deep, be too real. ~*~

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
2 posted 2013-10-11 06:00 PM

Thank you, Jerry )
I love this song and often sang it formerly.
And I think that you're right It's better to use "the".

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2013-10-11 06:51 PM

I, too, enjoyed your translation and your song, Galina.  As you know, I love languages and was delighted to hear you sing in Russian, though I didn't understand it - but that gave me the opportunity to listen to the music of the language, not only the music of the music, all the more.  

Thank you, too, for introducing me to SoundCloud.  I have voice recordings of several of my poems, and have uploaded an old one to test and will repost it, with the link.  

Owl

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
4 posted 2013-10-11 08:31 PM

Thank you, Owl, for reading (and listening)
Yes, SoundCloud is a good opportunity to share audio. I'll listen to you )

And maybe I will record the English version of this song, although I'm not sure that my accent won't spoil it )

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2013-10-12 02:23 AM

I think your accent will make the English version even lovelier!  I will look out for your recording of the English version.  Will you put it on here?  If you do, you need to do it within the 24 hour window in which you can edit - otherwise you will need to ask a moderator to do it for you - but worst case scenario, you can put it on a separate entry.  

Owl

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
6 posted 2013-10-12 02:59 AM

I know, but seems I won't have time to do it. On weekends all my kids are at home and I can't make any records - it's too noisy in our room )
But I will post the link in my comment here. I'll let you know somehow.
Honestly I wonder what will come of it, because I never sang in English before.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2013-10-12 10:57 AM

I would love to hear you talking English in your Russian accent as well, perhaps in one of your poems, please?  I absolutely love accents, and a Russian accent is beautiful, fascinating and so exciting especially as I have heard so few people talk Elnglish with a Russian accent.  I am looking forward tremendously to hearing you sing the song in English.  

Owl

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
8 posted 2013-10-12 11:58 AM

Owl, you inspire me!
I'll try.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
9 posted 2013-10-13 12:52 PM

I know English is not your maiden language.  You would never be able to convince anyone else of that with this remarkable piece.  Beautiful flow and solid message.  I truly enjoyed.

Michael

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
10 posted 2013-10-13 02:09 AM

Thank you, Michael, for reading and your kind words!
I appreciate your compliment very much!
It's true that English is not my native language, but I like it and try to learn.

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
11 posted 2013-10-17 08:14 PM

Also I've recorded the English version.
Don't laugh at me, please, because it's my first experience, I never sang in English before (except "Yesterday", which we learnt at school).

https://soundcloud.com/galina-italyanskaya/the-sonnet

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
12 posted 2013-10-18 03:47 AM

Laugh?  How can anyone laugh at such beauty?  Thank goodness, Galina, that I inspired you.  You didn't just try!  You succeeded admirably!  It is absolutely beautiful.  As you will see from the comment that I left on your recording of it in Sound Cloud, I absolutely LOVE your Russian accent.  You are the only Russian voice I have the privilege to hear, and such a beautiful one at that, and I will listen to this many times.  

Thank you for introducing us to Sound Cloud.  It was so easy and so quick to register and FREE!  I have had great fun, recording quite a bit of my recent poetry there.  As you will see, I am now "following" you.  I am not quite sure what that means, but presumably it will show on my dashboard when you put something new on.  The only other person I am "following" there is Nils Frahm, whose piano compositions and piano-playing is LITERALLY out of this world.  Sadly, though, I don't think he will be recording any more there.  He has only 4 recordings, as he seems to be too busy with his concerts (about 7 in about the next week in numerous countries).  However, there are a couple of other links on Sound Cloud to a bit more of his music (free) elsewhere.

I am looking forward excitedly to reading your translation of "Hope", hearing you sing it in Russian and in English, and hearing you read it as well.  

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Sonnet

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary