navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » 2 new senryu!
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic 2 new senryu! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida

0 posted 2010-12-10 11:13 AM

Here are my latest senryu. Senryu is the humorous side of haiku, I wrote these in the traditional 3-line strict 5 7 5 syllabic count--altho they can be written in 3-line free verse (without strict syllable count).  

on the car dashboard
my plastic Jesus blesses
the plastic flowers

(** note: I actually saw this odd sight on a car dashboard..Jesus hands were folded in prayer next to a bouquet of artificial flowers..it seemed like  Jesus was praying to or in communion with the plastic flowers. Odd but memorable!)

a rare thrift store find
among rows of like-new shoes
the tattered sandals

(**note:  there used to be a homeless man (when no one was looking) who would exchange his dirty old sandals for a pair of like-new shoes)

© Copyright 2010 al fogel - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
1 posted 2010-12-10 11:48 AM

About those shoes, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

I was hitchhiking once upon a time in the great state of Georgia. It was summertime, hot and I was hungry as all get out. Up ahead at a small country church was what I found out later a family reunion. They had three table loaded with food. I eased myself in their midst and chowed down. A few people tried to talk to me, wanting to know if I was Floyd and Beatrice's boy. I just nodded yes and kept on eating. I eased out of that mass of people with my belly full and went on my way.

Like I said. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

http://swamprighter.wordpress.com/

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2010-12-10 01:31 PM

Stealing on church grounds...shocking!!!!

If that plastic Jesus was watching you from the dash of Harley's 1962 Chevy Impala, you're in real trouble!!

flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida
3 posted 2010-12-10 01:33 PM

Jerry: wonderful story you tell--everybody has to do something during hard times. yep, gotta give the homeless guy credit for being creative enough to pull it off. It must happen with a bit of frequency in some thrifts because now I've been noticing rows of only ONE SHOE for the newer kind and if you want to purchase the match you have to see the manager. Yikes!

Baladeer: yeah, thank god they didn't have "plastic Jesus" back then--only god-like FATHER!!!! "your punished for 1 week. Go to your room!" Of course now if you send the kid to his room--with Xbox, I-pod, I-phone, E-book, I=pad--he may NEVER want to leave!!!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2010-12-10 01:34 PM

On the car dashboard
Jesus and Elvis together
Bobbing to and fro.

flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida
5 posted 2010-12-10 01:42 PM

good one, balladeer--but it doesn't COUNT!! (you have 8 syllabes in L2)

modern senryu:

Bobblehead Day
pigeons in the bleachers
pecking seeds

s1nfully_1nn0c3nt
since 2003-10-26
Posts 1105
Watertown, NY
6 posted 2010-12-10 02:23 PM

^^^lol the student becomes the master? Enjoyed.

-Trina.

You'd be surprised by the pain I can imagine inflicting and receiving.

Earl Brinkman
since 2010-03-03
Posts 1183
Osaka, Japan
7 posted 2010-12-11 07:07 AM

I admire you for being observant of small  details that surround you in your daily life and turning them into humourous senryu.
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2010-12-11 07:36 AM

This was just a fantastic read, all from the beginning down through the comments. Thank you!

The church, I think, is the first place where unexpected guests should be welcomed and fed adequately .

Love and smiles.
Margherita

flash
since 2010-11-28
Posts 213
miami beach, florida
9 posted 2010-12-11 11:07 AM

Hello Earl, Margherita, Trina:

Thanks for your kind words. Yes,I try to capture brief moments in everyday life that may have a spiritual message beyond the poem itself. And if I can add a liitle humour to lighten up the day--that's a plus. The best poems make me want to stop and think and re-read over and over. They linger like a fond memory.

Thanks again,

Al  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » 2 new senryu!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary