navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » night of terror
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic night of terror Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana

0 posted 2011-09-12 12:47 PM

Windows explode, doors burst, roof disappears
In storm far worse than anyone had feared.
I stayed at home, following instructions,
But home is now crumbling in destruction!
The hope I’d be spared has completely waned,
“I’ll die tonight” - the one thought in my brain.
Both cats are missing! Were they ripped away?
I’m in a nightmare! Will I live till day?
Or will my bones be found in the rubble?
Is saving what I can worth the trouble?
Bowing to despair is such temptation
But prayer and hard work are my salvation.
I slam boxed springs to windows, then make sure
These barricades are braced with furniture -
Fragile is this protection from the wind
But it’s enough to let me stand and spend
Hours bailing water pouring from ceiling.
The terror that had my senses reeling
Is numbed by tiredness– still I carry on
Through endless night.  Will I ever see dawn?
Then howling stops, the winds aren’t quite as strong,
My pets are found and back where they belong -
In loving arms that console and hold tight
And promise them that we will be all right...
For devastation may be extensive
But in this moment, it’s enough we live.

My night of terror began a little after 10 pm on September 12, 2008, when Hurricane Ike began the total destruction of my apartment. The next 13 hours and the days and months that followed were unbelievably hard, both physically and emotionally. Some friends became strangers and that pierced my heart... losses piled upon losses.
But for all the misery, there were bright lights. Some friends became greater treasures, some strangers became friends... they all continue to enrich my life every day.
In a world where almost everyone was focused on the Wall Street financial fiasco, OwlSA and iliana emailed encouragement when I needed it most and I will remember their kindness as long as I live.
And my sister... from driving through the remnants of the storm to get to me and help save what we could to giving my cats a home for 2 months, she reminded me constantly that I was never alone... even when I was all by myself. *S*
But my greatest gratitude is to God. The verses of Psalms 91 were with me that night, comfort and hope in the midst of destruction like I'd never imagined. Simply put, I was delivered. Three years later, a night of terror has become a lifetime of gratitude.
As you've probably guessed... this poem was hard and is still unpolished. I suspect it will remain rough, though... so thank you for your patience.

© Copyright 2011 suthern - All Rights Reserved
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
1 posted 2011-09-12 01:06 PM

Oh my gosh.  Your "night of terror" is not a rough copy; it's a fact of truth that you lived moment by moment.  The essentials are what are important, having faith to carry you through, survival, caring for your animals, and the toughest: keeping your sanity.  Just a short three years ago and I bet you check the weather forecast more often than you did before.  
I was in the USCG and stationed on Grand Isle, LA in 1969 when Camille came through.  I learned then just how powerful hurricanes can be.  So, in a way, I can understand your terror.  You made it through the storm, and that’s a good thing.  God bless you!

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2011-09-12 01:23 PM

My dear friend Ruth, I was so hoping when I saw the title that this was about 2008, (I didn't remember the year, but you know what I mean), but I dissolved into tears and they are still pouring down my face from the sheer terror that it was a current occasion.  A few lines into your poem, I realised it was about then, but the tears wouldn't stop.  The worst memory of that time for me was you hanging on to a door frame really and truly for dear life and not knowing where Kate and Colin were and whether they were alive or hurt or safe and feeling the terror that they must have been feeling.  And then those months that your dear sister was looking after them, but that you were separated from them were so awful too and I remember the absolute joy when you travelled the distance to your sister's home to collect them and you were all back together in what was left of your home.  I am smiling through these damn persistent tears, now at that joy.  

I saw your comment about the poem being raw and rough, but I have no idea what it was like I just plunged through it from beginning to end to get the facts and the reassurance that it was from then and not now.  I will read it again tomorrow or the next day, when my emotions about that time have subsided.  

Hugs
Owl

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2011-09-12 01:51 PM

I did not realize you had been through so much in 2008, Ruth...
I was in my own little world at the time,
or I too would have reached out...

and animals are amazing...always finding some
little secretive place to stash themselves
away until a storm subsides...amazing creatures...

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2011-09-12 02:33 PM

I've been through quite a few hurricanes, even Katrina, but luckily I never was subjected to what you went through. Hope I never will. As far as the friends becoming strangers? Good riddance, they were the friends you thought they were to start with.

~~ "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent. It is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." --George Washington ~~

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
5 posted 2011-09-12 04:23 PM

JL: The only thing that keeps me from being totally obsessed with weather reports from June through November is their all-too-frequent not-even-close inaccuracy. LOL As for keeping my sanity... I ended up having to get counseling for PTSD. But I am blessed... and fortunate enough to know how blessed I was and am! *S* Thank you so very much!!

Owl: You dear... I'm so sorry I scared you like that! I should have warned you I was finally posting about it. I wouldn't have put you through those fears deliberately for anything! The memories you mention are still the most vivid for me... holding on against the wind, finally holding Kate and Colin in my arms after so much fear... and then getting to bring them to our new home as the very best belated birthday present to myself EVER. *S* (Nothing is left of the old place... they finally demolished all the buildings, not just the two end ones that had taken the brunt of the storm.) Thank you for being a friend then, now... and all the times between. *S*

Sunshine: Thank you... but not to worry, sweet lady... Most people were in their own worlds and I was too broken to bridge the gap. I am so glad animals have such survival instincts... even if it did mean a long and dangerous, frantic search. *S*

JerryPat: You're absolutely right about the friends, though it took me a long time to admit that fact. *S* I'd been in hurricanes, too... I was even on my Dad's roof during Rita (he was in the direct path) trying to nail tin back down. That was scary... very scary. But Ike... that was terror. Thank you!

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2011-09-13 02:58 AM

Thank you, Ruth for your ever-kind-and-compassionate-Ruth words and thoughts.  You could never have guessed that I wouldn’t have realised immediately and without doubt that it was about then and not now.  Of absolute course, I realise that you wouldn’t have scared me like that deliberately.  I think that many of the tears were from grateful relief.  The emotional shock threw me out of Pip for last night – but no matter (smiles, through a few trickling today tears) – anything I could have read last night I can read today!  

And no, having read your poem properly today I can say that as a work of art, your poem is not rough and raw – but in content it is – it has to be.  I am glad that you were eventually able to put it into a poem and get to post it – that will help towards your healing.  

It is so sad that the building and others have been demolished, although I understand that there was probably every need to do so.  Perhaps that can be seen as a symbol of hope for new beginnings for you.  I pray that no brother of Ike further down the alphabet returns to where you are – or anyone else for that matter.  

Those memories for me are so vivid – how much more so for you they must be!  That is mind-boggling for me.  You told me that the search for Kate and Colin was long, but you didn’t tell me that it was dangerous.  I didn’t even give that a thought, so ignorant am I about hurricanes and weather disasters, and so happy was I to hear that all 3 of you were fine and re-united again for a short while until your sister came to get them and took them in while you found a new home for all of you.  Please email me the details about the search.  I promise not to react too badly to it, knowing that the story had a happy ending before I even begin reading it!

What are “boxed springs”?

Thank YOU for your friendship, especially during the months after first Daisy (on 18 December 2009) and Tigger (on 26 October 2010) went to Heaven.  If it hadn’t been for you and Kate and Colin, I would have been in a much worse place.  Your wonderful compassion and understanding and the kitty stories and photos that I hungrily waited for and received so regularly helped me to cope more than even you will ever know.

Please give lots of hugs and kisses to Kate and Colin from their Auntie Di and tell Colin that Auntie Di’s love is with him, along with his Mommy’s, every time when he and Mommy make his weekly visit to the vet for his injections.

Hugs
Owl

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2011-09-13 04:47 AM

I remember this, suthern gal, and your trials getting through it. That's called being lucky and unlucky at the same time, isn't it? Funny how our thoughts go to our pets at the time, isn't it? When the hurricane hit us six years ago, my mother cat had just given birth to 6 and, with the wind howling and the trees flying through the air, all I could think of was would the kittens survive...go figure.

They say that what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. I'd say you're proof of that, don't you agree? The "roughness" of the poem makes it perfect. Don't polish it....

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2011-09-13 04:51 AM

Did they survive, Balladeer (heart in mouth for reply)?

Owl

luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

9 posted 2011-09-13 02:07 PM

I remember agonizing your safety, and how good it was when you were able to reach out and let us know you were ok...well relatively ok...sigh, it seems long ago, until reading this, and then it seems just moments......
love you lady

pmcfadd
since 2009-03-14
Posts 3

10 posted 2011-09-13 05:51 PM

Hi,
Fortunately I have never been in a hurricane but after reading this it felt as if I needed to step inside the poem and help you to bail water.
Glad that everything came up good in the end.

pmc

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
11 posted 2011-09-13 06:15 PM

Dear Ruth, I am so sorry for what you have gone through. So extremely dramatic! It is indeed terrifying to a degree that those who have never experienced a hurricane can't really imagine. But your poem is so vivid and intense that the reader almost stops to breathe.
It is certainly not easy to recover from such a frightening event, I am glad to hear that you have had professional help.
((((((((Ruth)))))))
God bless you and your sweet pets.
Love and hugs.
Margherita

Angel4aKing
since 2006-09-27
Posts 1372
USA
12 posted 2011-09-13 11:26 PM

The next time I am complaining about my trouble I will remember this and how you pulled through and were delivered rom dispair. I think the way it is written is very fitting to the theme,,,be blessed my pip friend!!!

~~~kingsangel~~~

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
13 posted 2011-09-14 11:16 PM

What fortitude you showed Suthern, admirable,
Ms. E

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
14 posted 2011-09-15 07:17 PM

Fantastic writing of a hard period in your life...James
suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
15 posted 2011-09-17 11:41 PM

Owl: You dear.. I echo your prayers that we're spared Ike's brothers... and sisters! *S* And Kate and Colin and I all appreciate the love you send so generously... thank you!!!

Deer: Definitely both lucky and unlucky at the same time. *S* It's similar to something I know you understand fully... we can be so worried about our neighboring states at the same time we're praying fervently "anywhere but here." *S* And you wouldn't be the man you are if you hadn't been worried about the cats... even ole pegleg just talked tough! *S* Thank you!!

luminosity: I know that time warp thing well. *S* And that reaching out thing was selfish... I needed the love you were sending! *S* Thank you, dear friend!

pmcfadd: Believe me... I would have welcomed the help... and the company of another human being! *S* Thank you!!

Margherita: I thank you so much for your sweet comments and your blessings! *S*

Angel4aKing: As terrified as I was, I know I was blessed... I lost a lot but my cats and I survived... and that was nothing short of a miracle. *S* Thank you!

ebonygirl: Thank you so much!

JamesMichael: I fervently hope it never gets tougher. *S* Thank you!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » night of terror

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary