navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Constellation Prize
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Constellation Prize Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Haf_Alive
since 2011-09-04
Posts 56
High in the Sky

0 posted 2011-09-07 08:59 PM

I’m done
This is dumb
Damn these dreams
Every one
Night after night I keep waging this fight
Against the sunlight – im sick of it’s sight
I’m here and you’re there
n it’s not really fair
But in dreams I don’t care
‘cuz in dreams you’re so close
I can see your sweet face
And we meet once again
The same time and same place
You smile at me
and your face kind of glows
I tell you you’re stunning
But you already know
I say it just to see you smile
The way you always do
Only your smile makes sleeping worthwhile
So I sleep just to dream about you
I call these moments heaven
Every time that we’re together
I wish that they’d stop disappearing
Or that they’d last forever
Sometimes these  dreams  
they hurt so damn much
A few times I’ve woken in pain
I know they’re not real
And hate how they feel
Cuz I don’t know when I’ll see you again
We get torn apart
Before morning starts
It breaks my heart day after day
I blow you soft kisses
Send shooting star wishes
Then the dream starts fading away
I’m sad cuz they don’t reach you
But here’s some consolation
I took the twinkles in your eyes
And with some inspiration
I threw them up into the skies
And made your very own constellation
As I look out the window
I leave my woes behind
I slip into a dream with you
Cuz you’re the last thing on my mind

© Copyright 2011 Luke S. Heath - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2011-09-07 09:46 PM

I am reading a book called, "My Friend Leonard," by James Frey. This poem makes me think of it.

~~ How come abbreviated is such a long word? ~~

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
2 posted 2011-09-07 09:51 PM

I love the title!! And I know it doesn't help... but you're not alone in seeking the solace of dreams only to feel the ache at every awakening. You've written the battle beautifully.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2011-09-08 02:40 AM

This is very, very beautiful, 150% Alive (you're stuck with that name from me, and sorry, there's nothing you can do about it! Smiles).  Besides the excellent quality and sensitivity of your poem, I also enjoyed the cleverness and humour in the title.

I know this sounds easy to say, but I say it from experience (nearly 66 years of living).  When things are at their worst, look around you for Nature - even in the densest concrete jungle, there is always at least a little something - and if you truly don't see it, make a point of escaping to where there is enough for you to see it - and revel in the beauty and tranquility of that Nature, and do at least a tiny little something to protect it's fragility from harm, or spread that little bit of Nature a little further.  Also bring at least a little bit of warmth to another person or animal, and appreciate the least bit of warmth you get either from that person or animal - or another person or animal, and bask in the glow it brings you to have given and received.  And that should give your waking hours at least a little joy to carry you through to your dream times.  

Another thought worth pondering, is that if you weren't experiencing what you are, you wouldn't have written this exquisite poem - small comfort perhaps, but a seed can germinate and become a beautiful flower, shrub or tree.

Sorry for sounding like a school ma'am.  My only excuse, is that I was born one, and was one for many, many years, and I can't get out of it, nor do I want to.  Please try to take comfort in the fact that I mean well.

Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (09-08-2011 03:44 AM).]

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2011-09-08 03:51 AM

quote:
I took the twinkles in your eyes
and with some inspiration
I threw them up into the skies
and made your very own constellation

The whole poem was a delight and the above lines are simply awesome, dear Luke. Your longing is intensely rendered.

This love, whether far away, close, or in dreams is your flower in the desert. A healing oasis.

Imagine her watching you throughout the day, in all you do. For me that thought has always worked miracles, because I was motivated to really do the best of my time, be active, creative and loving, inspired by love. (I also love dear Owl's words on this behalf, they hold great wisdom).

Whether fate will bring you two together again or not, she will be and remain a precious gift, making you strong.

You write beautifully.

Love,
Margherita

"Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love."
(Rumi)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Constellation Prize

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary