navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » morning's moody mist
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic morning's moody mist Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2009-10-31 11:39 AM

morning's mist matches my mood,
somber and solemn

nine at sea
plus one
missing
amid many questions

life is fragile,
fleeting

rescues
sometimes fail
leaving heavy hearts
torn apart

~'for those in peril
on the sea'~

these words bombarded my mind
throughout the endless night,
but can do nothing
to alter the outcome

morning's mist matches my mood,
somber and solemn

I am a Coast Guard mom...

© Copyright 2009 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2009-10-31 12:12 PM

Oh, dear Kacy, I can imagine how you identify now with your dear daughter when she is out to rescue those in peril and how the sadness of someone lost touches you too.

You have shared your thoughts so powerfully here, that I feel like sending up a prayer to lift your mood, knowing that everybody has done the best that was in their power.

Loved the solemn touch to this and send you a comforting hug.

Love,
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2009-10-31 12:57 PM

Kacy, my heart goes out to you and Sara and the tears are erupting in my body and rolling down my cheeks for those who were involved this time.  I will pray for any survivors and for their strength while waiting to be found and for the souls of those who didn't survive and that the terror of their last moments was as short-lived as possible.  

Kacy, I know just what you mean.  I am a police reservist mom and 105 police reservists were shot and killed by criminals in 2008.  My son is on duty right at this moment and my heart is in my mouth every time and the whole time he is on duty.  A bullet-proof vest doesn't cover his face.  This morning at the Mall there were policemen with AK 47 guns.  I assume that they had heard of an impending threat.

The heaviness in your heart is exquisitely and respectfully and compassionately expressed and a reflection of your beautiful soul.  

Please email me or let us know here when you hear further details.  

Prayers, hugs, and I wish I could make you a hot, sweet cup of camomile tea

Owl

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2009-11-01 03:12 PM

They suspended the search and rescue operations  this morning.
It is now a search and recovery operation, with ongoing extensive investigations over the sequence of Thursday night's mid-air crash events.

I sit here in silence, honoring these brave Coast Guardians and Marines. My heart aches for the families of these nine, as well as  all those lost while serving their country.  

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
4 posted 2009-11-03 02:24 AM

Kacy,

This reminds me how closely tied Alaskan Fishermen are with the Coast Guard.  The CG is an integral part of all lives who challenge Alaskan waters.  Your daughter does a great service and I pray for her safety always.

xoxoxo
Alison

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
5 posted 2009-11-03 04:28 AM

hello midnitsun, the poem is touching and deep, some risk their lives everyday for others, may be they are the true poet, the poets of the life; the generosity of your daughter is outstanding and the poem sounds perfectly for that...

have a great day

yann

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2009-11-03 08:33 AM

Alison, thank you. Yes, the CG is an integral part of rescuing people from sea accidents, and maintaining coastal waters in Alaska.
Protecting humans through safety inspections is important. A big part of their job is law enforcement.

Yann, I never thought of it that way. Thank you for your comments!

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
7 posted 2009-11-04 10:03 AM

You convey the mood clearly and crisply.
The waters do find peace.  Prayers around your loved ones.

Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
8 posted 2009-11-04 10:21 AM

This is powerful.  I like the way you use your line-breaks for emphasis.  It brings it all home.  A hard reality to take, and much harder for those who feel they have failed.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
9 posted 2009-11-04 03:32 PM

Very sad, Kacy.  The Coast Guard mom revelation puts it all in perspective.  When I was in the Canadian Navy (back in the days of sail!) we took part in several SandR missions.  The outcomes are all too often tragic.
Well written:  well shared.
Namaste
Jim

"We are stardust:  we are golden:  and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."  --Joni Mitchell "Woodstock"

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2009-11-04 04:22 PM

I want to sincerely thank each of you for your time reading and responding
This particular incident was about a mid-air helicopter/plane crash last week off the coast of southern California.
A 7 member crew on the US Coast Guard plane was searching for 1 missing boater at night, and the two-person Marine helicopter was on a training mission. They collided...no survivors.
It is a tragic loss for all the families and friends, all the serviceman who knew these people.
The 'authorities' are still seeking the reason for the crash, which happened at night.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2009-11-04 06:41 PM

Kacy, I feel this with you. Your words  serve to bring it all home to many of us. Thank you. jo
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2009-11-04 07:08 PM

Thank you, Jo.
How are you these days?
I hope to post a more 'upbeat' write,
maybe this evening.

GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

13 posted 2009-11-05 07:34 AM

We all owe a great deal to the men and women who serve to keep us safe.
This is a dept that can never be fully repaid.
Your poem strike just the right mood and tempo to describe you feelings.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2009-11-06 01:13 AM

Thank you, Kacy for the updates so far.  Have they recovered any of the bodies yet?

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » morning's moody mist

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary